I got a simple question

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Cherub, Mar 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cherub

Cherub Registered Member

This is another of my questions that are probably basic but I don't know the answer to.

The Set-up. I have my AV set to automatically update and full scan at night when I'm not on the computer(and at other times, but for this question, this time applies) along with some other programs with auto update.

I have Windows 7-64 bit with an admin. account and a LUA. In the past, I always thought I needed to be logged on to the admin account for these updates/scans to take place so I would leave the computer on and logged into my admin. account at night. HOWEVER, I was wondering, if I log out of my accounts but still have the computer on (Like at the start up screen where you have the choices to what account to use) will my AV still update and run its nightly scan?

2. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

Most (if not all) antivirus products work as services in Windows OS for many reasons. I suspect the answer will be YES in most cases but it really depends on the product. Please , write down the name of your AV.

Additionally:
    # You don't have to scan your computer each and every night (a.k.a every 24 hours) . That is too much and completely unnecessary! Your product have real time protection to keep you safe . Scan only when you suspect infection or the computer is infected.
    # The program is supposed to automatically update during the day when you actually use it . When you don't use the computer at night , there is no reason for updating because nothing bad can happen.

3. Cherub

Cherub Registered Member

I'm using Avira Premium.

All this time in running my computer it just never dawned on me that I didn't have to log in to an account to get the updates. Doh'. lol

I do have it set to update auto during the day too, every two hours. I just always thought I had to be logged into an account for it to.

Thanks a bunch.

4. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

As for AVIRA I am not 100% it will update even if you are not logged into a given account. I might be wrong , though but someone else who is more familiar with it should confirm.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.