I do not think all has been said regarding TDS-3

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by Denny, Jul 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dallen

dallen Registered Member

I disagree. A Microsoft aquisition would be a welcome invite. Realistically though, Microsoft tends to acquire industry leaders in promising industries. DiamondCS used to be an industry leader, but even they've admitted to the status of the defunct trojan defense industry.

2. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

I disagree. They have some great ideas, and a fantastic existing product line. They just need help with programming, answering the phone, and maintaing the web site. They can do this by hiring off the street (which I would prefer to see), or a merger. Either way, they seem to need help.

3. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Microsoft have already acquired a number of security companies (RAV, Giant) with seemingly little effect on Windows' core security (aside from MS Antispyware which is really more of a band-aid). Their issues come down more to fundamental design issues in Windows itself (amount of code running at privileged level, emphasis on ease-of-use over security, overly-complex subsystems and use of vulnerabilities as an "upgrade marketing tool").

As for the "trojan defense industry", it is far from defunct and is unlikely ever to be given the increasing amount of malware being churned out. The specific issue DCS pointed out with TDS-3 was with maintaining a signature-based file scanner that could provide a noticeable improvement over antivirus software - there are plenty of other approaches that can (and increasingly, need) to be taken.

4. mrgeek

mrgeek Registered Member

"They just need help with programming, answering the phone, and maintaing the web site. They can do this by hiring off the street (which I would prefer to see), or a merger. Either way, they seem to need help."

DCS NEEDS help. They still have not answered my emails after several weeks, and I am trying to BUY one of their products.

5. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

I've not had a reply for the free licence for weeks now.
    Got an email back then saying they hadn't received my keyfile, and at the bottom the legend said...
    Please tell your friends about Diamond CS.....well I've told them alright.

6. worldcitizen

worldcitizen Registered Member

I agree with Dallen. It's always been 'just around the corner' and yet we are left kept waiting and waiting for ages. I think DCS either have to hire more staff, merge with another company or just fold because they seem to be struggling so much and are unable to meet their own deadlines (just around the corner) which they keep setting.

I drop around less and less frequently because there just seems to be nothing happening. I wonder just how many people have dropped off?

Dave

7. isnogood

isnogood Registered Member

I think they should sell their business to Ghost Security and take a long holiday. That would be most beneficial for everyone, and at least PG would be out of danger.

8. dallen

dallen Registered Member

Dave,
    I'm a numbers kinda guy. I feel that backing up claims with quantitative facts strengthens your argument. Unfortunately, I don't have any quantitative facts here; however, I've been watching RegDefend and the number of posts within their forum section has been steadily increasing over time. TDS and Process Guard (the two most popular of DCS' products) have slowed. That's really no surprise, TDS is dead, the only reason it gets any posts is because people are so upset (also, the loyalists keep defending which is truly amazing), therefore, this forum section really should be removed entirely. Process Guard is becoming useless with inadequate support. That leads me to my next point.
    In monitoring the posts of RegDefend for the past few months (mainly because I'm not as quick to throw out my credit card to software companies as I was when I gave DCS well over $100), Jason of Ghost Security seems to be doing a damn good job. I've noticed that Jason seems to take a different approach to customer service than does Wayne and DCS. He seems to listen, respond, and most importantly disseminate information about his products, both current and future. I agree with isnogood's proposal. Wayne should let Jason have Process Guard. He developed it and he would better maintain it. Maybe Jason would even be so kind as to offer Wayne a job.

Dustin

Last edited: Sep 15, 2005
  9. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Making major reorganization can be a lot of work, I have no doubt that things are very busy right now but that things will probably calm down once it's done. I'd bet that if they just hired some temporary help (contractor) then they could probably get up to speed a lot quicker, and make the cusomers happy.. I doubt there's really any need to sell off the company for a short term set back.

10. dallen

dallen Registered Member

Notok,
    If they can't afford to issue refunds to customers, then how can they afford to hire contractors?

11. mrgeek

mrgeek Registered Member

At least in my case, they can afford to ignore somebody still looking to buy.

12. Notok

Notok Registered Member

But you don't really know that for sure, do you?

13. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Ghost might take a pass on that if they were approched. It would have to make sense for them.

14. Carver

Carver Guest

If they hold off giving refunds to customers, then they can hire the contractors

15. mrgeek

mrgeek Registered Member

If DCS would stop ignoring potential customers like me, maybe they could do both!

16. dallen

dallen Registered Member

Notok,
    Either they can't afford to give refunds to their customers, or even worse, they can afford to, but are simply choosing not to.

17. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Rather speculative.
    Dallen is doing the job too well for free so they don't need to.

DiamondCS is just continuing building new products, upgrading other products, building new webpages, we all have read Gavin, haven't we?

And many pages ago was asked about beta-testing: yes we have been beta-testing and more to come.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2005
  18. mrgeek

mrgeek Registered Member

DiamondCS is just continuing building new products, upgrading other products, building new webpages, we all have read Gavin, haven't we?

....and avoiding customer support.

19. dallen

dallen Registered Member

Jooske, I miss you. It's been quite some time since I've had the privilage of your company.
    Thank you for the compliment. I think this is the first time that you've every genuinly complimented me on my efforts.
    I think people are just tired of hearing, they want to actually see.
    Simple question: If you are in fact beta testing, what are you testing? or is that also 'secret'?

20. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

Good question, DA. Is it something NEW, or something IMPROVED?

21. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Our lips are sealed.

22. dallen

dallen Registered Member

That doesn't suprise me. I suppose you are beta testing some mystery software that's going to be out soon (sound familiar). Don't mind the fact that TDS-4 was supposedly due to be released at any moment for over 2 years. My question is if it took over 2 years to develop software as "complex" as TDS-4, which turned out to be vaporware, how can you be beta testing this new mystery software so soon? If development on this "new secret software" began the day of the announcement of the downfall of TDS-4, then that only allows for a couple of months of development. Are we to believe that you couldn't develop and release TDS-4 in over 2 years, but that you can develop and release this software in less than 2 months while redesigning the website and do it all with such "limited resources?"

23. R. Blake

R. Blake Guest

Heck, I asked for a refund from Diamond over two months ago for their now defunct TDS program and thus far have heard nothing. I checked in on this board and their site about a month and a half ago and heard proclamations that an exciting new site with great new programs was "just around the corner" (where did I hear THAT expression before?!?!?), but alas, here we are 6 weeks later and it looks like all is status-quo. I could not find any new site, nor could I find any new products, nor did I ever find any information from Diamond CS regarding my (numerous) requests for a refund. Maybe they should change the name from Diamond CS to Diamond "BS"--- that seems to be what they specialize in!

24. Carver

Carver Guest

Does anybody know what was done with the TDS-4 that was supposedly made

They tried to develop and release TDS-4 for over 2 years and couldn't do it. But in the 2 months after TDS-3 was canceled they could "cut-up" the already developed TDS-4.

Just suppose that it took so long because all the individual uitilitys put in TDS-4s GUI interfeared with each other and the only way it would work if the individual utitilitys were given their own GUI. Given a break of not having to do the daly updates freed-up some resources and withholding cash refunds provided some more resources.

This theory is supposition on my part, and I think it is a little loony. We need facts from DCS, and we are getting none. So what does DCS expect to happen with no communication in regard to the new software and the new web site.

25. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Read again exactly what Wayne wrote time ago and take the peek on the new pages Gavin posted in another thread.
    For a refund or alternatives, Wayne offered several options. Not sure if waiting for new products is included in those options. I could hope for a rebuild WormGuard for example, even though the current version still does very well on my systems. Remember part of that technology is included in TDS and does protect other parts, so not a bad thing to have in combination with our other tools.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.