I can't exclude .sys files like pagefile from backup. Please help!

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Aria Invictus, Jun 22, 2017.

1. Aria Invictus

Aria Invictus Registered Member

I have used Paragon software for years, and had no problem. But for some reason when I got the Paragon Hardrive Manager 15 Premium, I see no option to exclude pagefiles. I read the official PDF, and it mentions there is an option to:

"Skip OS auxiliary files. Mark the checkbox to skip OS auxiliary files (like pagefile.sys, hiberfil.sys, etc.), thus reducing the operation time and the resulted size of the backup image."

But in the General Copy and Backup Options, no such option exists. Even in the PDF, in the picture that is shown, no option exists. I guess it is supposed to be between the Partition raw processing and Skip archive files stored in archive library options since that is the order it shows in the PDF, but it is not there.

I also tried to exclude it manually, but since the .sys files are hidden, it won't appear as an option to exclude them. I mean I can see the files if I open the C drive, but if I am using the Harddrive Manager to search for the file, it won't appear with the other files.

Can someone help me?

2. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

These exclusions are done automatically. You don´t have to select any option.

3. kaljukass

kaljukass Registered Member

Why should You make recovery files (backups) from temporary files? Why?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is pagefile.sys?

Windows uses a page file (pagefile.sys) as virtual memory because you only have a finite amount of physical random access memory (RAM). It sits on your hard drive or SSD (C:\pagefile.sys) ready to receive things as necessary and the size is dictated by the amount of RAM in your system, it matches.
    Your computer will prioritise using your RAM to store data because it's faster to read it from here compared to your hard drive. However, when your RAM becomes full, Windows moves some of the data from your RAM back to your hard drive within the page file.
    So, although it takes up space on your drive, your computer uses it to maintain performance by keeping important data to hand rather than getting rid of it because your RAM is at full capacity.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

There's no need to backup the pagefile. Not only is it pointless, but as was mentioned it will make the backups larger in size.

You don't need a backup of the pagefile, as Windows will create it again.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.