I can't delete folder restored to other location

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by tomgomes, Jun 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomgomes

tomgomes Registered Member

I am ran the TI 11. I created an folder (C:/restore) and restored My Documents to this other location. Before this I made a secure zone on the hard drive. Now, I am in need to get HD space and I must delete this "restore" folder but appears a window advising me that there is a corrupt file and the delection is not possible. What to do?

2. Aussie42

Aussie42 Registered Member

Try booting Windows in Safe Mode and see if that lets you delete the folder. To access Safe Mode press the F8 key before Windows starts loading after switching on your computer. You should then have a menu of Boot options which includes Safe Mode.

3. tomgomes

Hallo AUssie42
    I tryed delete in safe mode and the same window warning message appears advising me that there is a corrupt file and the delection is not possible. Impossible to delete the folder. Then i open the TI11 and scan the restored folder with tool File shreddder. To try delete 7MB the time was a half of hour but the folder remain there. Before scan with the File Shreddder tool there was in "Propieties" the information of the size folder: 7MB. Now, after the scan with File Shreddder toothere is an information that the folder size is 44MB (?). I can't understand. Could I have help?

4. shieber

shieber Registered Member

5. tomgomes

You are welcome.
    I was looking for the searching solution to delete these corrupted files but I was not lucky.

I deleted the Secure Zone and then I "go back the system". The folder "restore" remained there. When I boot, CHKDSK starts automactilcally and nothing
    changes. I can't understand why in all files that were restored to this other location C:\Restore, there is a corrupted file. There is a question: in case I had restored "MY Documents" to the original place, would the files be corrupted, as well?

The warning message shows says also: "Corrupt Directory".

Now it was possible to me to delete only one restored file. Looking in the "My Documents" of the system, that folder with the same name, continuos the same. The delection was valid only to My Documents in the directory "restore".

Looking in the normal path of My Documents it can be seen:
    C:\Documents and settings\TOM1\My Documents.

For "My documents restored" to other location the path is:
    C:\restore\Drive(C)\documents and settings\TOM1\My Documents.

So, I thing the problem is concerned to the paths showed above but I don't know the procedure to solve it.
    Could help me?

6. shieber

shieber Registered Member

The file system itself confused about these entries. It's kind of a difficult prob but one of the solutions used in the thread I mentioned should work. In particular take a look at posts 2 and 12 in that thread -- creating dummy files and dirs with the same names as the mucky ones, making a backup with the dummies in it, then restoring those dummy files over the mucky ones.

sh

7. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

According to the thread mentioned in shieber's reply, then no, this would not have happened if the files and folders backup was restored to the original location.

I think that in reply #9 of this thread (mentioned by shieber) lies the solution. The suggestion here is to do the following:

1. Make another files and folders backup of the corrupted folder, in your case at C:\restore\Drive(C)\documents and settings\TOM1\My Documents
    2. Restore this backup using files and folders restore to the exact same location, thus replacing the corrupted folder.
    3. Then try deleting the folder.

I've seen this problem too. It seems that if you restore a backed-up file or folder to a different location on the disk that something goes haywire (with NTFS permissions and security, probably). In my case I booted into Linux and deleted the offending folder to solve the problem, but the workaround quoted above seems easy to try.

8. tomgomes

Hi, I'm getting more lively and hopeful (Please, I have a short Engish language, speak more clearly and slowly, if possible)

A) Shieber wrote:
    -creating dummy files and dirs with the same names as the mucky ones, making a backup with the dummies in it, then restoring those dummy files over the mucky ones.

B) Kolo wrote:

1. Make another files and folders backup of the corrupted folder, in your case at C:\restore\Drive(C)\documents and settings\TOM1\My Documents
    2. Restore this backup using files and folders restore to the exact same location, thus replacing the corrupted folder.
    3. Then try deleting the folder.

I ask you: these procedures above are the same?
    At fisrt I understand that i have to do a backup of the directory "Restore" that have the corrupted files and folers and restore again to same place of the older restored "Restore" directory. Is this?

9. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

These procedures are almost the same. My procedure may be easier to do.
    Yes, you have understood perfectly.

Let us know if this works.

10. tomgomes

Ok
    I will do it and I return to tell you and to Shieber the solved question. i beleave it

11. tomgomes

Hi people,
    I delayed to resolve the problem, "operation delete", because I was confused by several reasons like this below:

I was look for logs of TI11 and i saw a strange registry:
    - Restore data From file:"F:\mydocuments.tib"backup type: Files Restore to: C:\Documents and settings\TOM1\desktop\Archive created:sturday, May, 31,2008 21:06:04...

I dont bleave it. Any folder was ever created on the Desktop. (see in attached .*5.jpg) and the refering log was to operation :"folder Restore".

The log above is exactly:
    RESTORE DATA
    FROM FILE:"F:\MYDOCUMENTS.TIB"
    BACKUP TYPE: FILES
    RESTORE TO: C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\TOM1\DESKTOP

I think that I was crazy.
    For My documents restored to other location (In this case a folder named Restore) the path is:
    C:\restore\Drive(C)\documents and settings\TOM1\My Documents.

This path is showing too in the adress bar of the window explorer then the Acronis log information don’t math with it.

So in the log Acronis backup to the folder Restore.(See *.4.jpg) , that i have after do the procedure indicated from Shieber and the master Kolo i get the correct information. I was lucky.

In the backup from the folder Restore, the botton "next" remained disabled( see .*1.jpg. To tell the truth I don't know how this backup from folder Restore was make. IT was only possible to backuped in the C:, the same drive.

Looking to .*1.jpg we see that the C: was also selected. All was confused but i was ahead and only after the third attempted the operation delete had success. When i pressed one botton in a panel of Acronis, the fisrt time the action used to fail.

All was well. I restore the backup from "restore folder", (see *.8.jpg) the same place of the backup and finally was possible, after some attempts delete the bastard "restore".

thank you for all.
    cheers

Attached Files:

12. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

That's quite a story and I very much enjoyed reading it. I'm glad that you finally were able to delete the unwanted folder.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.