I cannot turn on Ad Blocking of Norton

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by woobook, Jan 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. woobook

woobook Registered Member

I login a limited account of XP, but I cannot turn on Ad Blocking of Norton firewall. How to do?

2. hardhead

hardhead Registered Member

You have to be logged in as Administrator before you can chage any setting. ;)

3. woobook

I already did that, I logged in administrator account and turned on the Ad Blocking, but in the limited account it is still "off".

4. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

How do you have accounts set up in NIS?
    Have you checked both global and user settings?

Regards,

CrazyM

5. woobook

It is not NIS. I use NAV + NPF, it does not have accounts setting.
    I think I don't need NPF Ad Blocking function. Now I find the puzzle is about Program Component Monitoring. When I turn it on, I find so many pop-up tell me that the svchost.exe should launch hundred dlls. I think it is not a good idea to close it.

6. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Do you have both Global and User settings which work differently. You logs will show if the add blocking is working in your limited account, as noted changes can only be made when logged in as Admin.

While the prompts may slow down a little after first being enabled, they will continue and it is annoying. Your choice whether you want to keep using Component Monitoring, or disable it. The Program Launch Control is better behaved. These observations based on NIS/NPF 2003. I have not used any version beyond that.

Regards,

CrazyM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.