I Can See Underbelly Of The Net With SANDBOXIE!!

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by cortez, Feb 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

Still going strong here with Defensewall on the wife's PC!! 20 days in and still not a peep from it or the wife about it :D

2. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Firefox w/Adblock Plus is a sound choice. Firefox isn't as targeted as IE, has a better security record and the ABP add-on will kick the ads, which are a known source of malware.
    Another useful measure would be disabling autorun on removable drives (Tweak UI)

3. Aaron Here

Aaron Here Registered Member

Thanks again for the FF & ABP suggestion, but what's the reason for disabling autorun? o_O

4. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Was also curious so found something here on that. Thanks lucas!

5. Aaron Here

Well I don't think I can sell that one to wifey. She often receives CDs from our family with photos on it and if autoplay is diabled she would have to use My Computer (Windows Explorer) to open them! :doubt:

6. lucas1985

If the autorun.inf calls an executable, AE will block it. The problem lies if it calls a script.
    You'll have to make a trade-off between security and comfort for your wife :)

7. Aaron Here

Guess who wins that contest? Wifey's laptop is getting Faronics AE and Firefox (with recommended Add-ons). I'll be back if she gives me any guff. ;)

8. lucas1985

Remember to disable automatic updates for Windows and applications. They won't work with AE enabled.
    Also, read AE's help file to learn how to manage it (incase you need to disable it to install/update something or if you want to uninstall AE)
    After that, AE is truely "set it and forget it" :)

9. Aaron Here

:thumb:

PS to the OP: I'm truly sorry for hijacking your SandboxIE thread. :oops:

10. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

Getting back to Sandboxie, several posters suggested to run it together with Returnil (maybe not always but when trying software or going to the dark side). Does that mean you run Returnil and inside returnil open your browser that is sandboxed?

11. lucas1985

Right :)

12. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Glad to see we are back on subject at last. "Sandboxie" :D

13. arran

arran Registered Member

does the K meleon browser not work inside sandboxie? or is it just me
    can some one confirm?

14. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

If convenient you could post any issues at Sandboxie's forum.

No need to register.
    SB's Forum

15. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Hi, I didn't have a problem when briefly trying it, but Chuck57 did. Check out posts 62-64 on this page. I would also do what Fanklin suggests.

16. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I had a problem after upgrading Kmeleon from 1.1.3 to 1.1.4. It wouldn't work for me in Sandboxie. I went back to Kmeleon 1.1.4 and tried all the suggestions in the posts in the thread innerpeace linked to. Still no luck, so I'm once again back to Kmeleon 1.1.3 and all works fine. Fortunately, I have the .exe for 1.1.3 saved on my other hard drive.

In fact, I'm running Firefox 3 Beta 3 now more than Kmeleon and loving it even more than Kmeleon. On my computer, FF 3 is noticably faster and working very well in Sandboxie.

17. Beto

Beto Registered Member

I finally tried SandboxIE and what a wonderful underbelly it is. It is as if using SandboxIE has turned me from a Santa Clause believing child to a fully aware adult. I am like a child in a candy shop. I think I am now addicted to the Internet.

SandboxIE should be made aware to all people who use the World Wide Web. With out it they are sure to get their computers hosed by infections very quickly. Some of these weird -but very interesting- sites seem to be nothing but traps for passing on infections--SandboxIE is the new penicillin for these death traps.

Thanks to this Forum I was made aware that it existed.

18. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Pretty cool huh? :cool: . I know how you feel. I like the idea of anything I do online being trapped in a 'box' so I can delete it automatically or manually.

Your right about the sites being setup with the intent of infecting users. There usually looking for the 'low hanging fruit' or in other words, users who are running older versions of software that have vulnerabilities. That's why it's important to keep up to date.

Cheers

19. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

No offense, but isn´t this like the most stupid topic title ever? What the hell is this guy talking about? :blink:

20. Hermescomputers

Hermescomputers Registered Member

He means he sees everything you do when you use sandboxie... o_O metaphorically of course!
    So if you weren't paranoid enough as it is... this will help improve things a bit!

21. pidbo

pidbo Registered Member

Yes I know what you mean

Maybe "What the butler saw"? or maybe "What the boy was too frightened to see because he was only twelve and hadn't grown up to be a butler yet and his mum might catch him and send him to bed early for being "A very naughty boy!"

22. MikeNAS

MikeNAS Registered Member

Newest K-Meleon working fine here with Sandboxie. Maybe the problem isn't Sandboxie. There some other options too. GhostWall needs Loopback rule if you like to use sandboxed browser and so on.

23. Beto

Beto Registered Member

No offense taken. Most stupid topic ever? For those of us who do not know how to protect ourselves from internet infection, knowledge about SandboxIE is far from stupid but in fact a real eye opener as it protects better than any firewall I have used or any Anti Virus program I have ever used.

This allows us to go where we want on the world wide web without fear and thus experience a whole new world.

Knowledge of SandboxIE is not stupid but is knowledge that is quite powerful.

In fact it is a very easy program to use even for the newbie.

From my limited experience it it seems that SandboxIE can replace complicated firewalls and anti virus software. In fact it is a very easy program to use even for the newbie.

This is a statement that cannot be made about many firewalls and anti virus programs, which cannot protect like SandboxIE does.

A look at this forum only proves the difficulties of these.

24. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

in theory SBIE should be sufficient but if it fail,where are you then ?

To trust on only one is bit stupid,SBIE can fail and we are just human so we make mistakes.

If you take file out of the Sandbox,how do you know that its not malicious.

I would'nt trust SBIE or whatever as my only protection.

25. Dieselman

Dieselman Registered Member

Thank you. I have been waiting for somebody to make a comment like I said. I use Comodo 3.0 and NOD32. I tried Sandboxie and its more of a pain to then anything. I download things everyday so I would be constantly recovering files out of the sandbox which got tiresome. I have been surfing the web for over 5 years using a firewall and a good av and never one infection. I have always been able to " see the under belly of the net" just fine. So I agree 100% that what can sandboxie do for you if you recovery a file and its a virus or spyware. Then thats when you do need a n av or anti spyware of some sort. Sandboxie should not be used to replace an anti virus but can compliment one. Sandboxie cannot tell you if something is a virus plain and simple.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.