I am tired of being told.

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by trjam, Sep 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

So simple, yet so powerful :)

If I feel a need to, then sure. Otherwise it's running rock-solid. It's a kind of POC pilot project of mine; very old pc (PII, 766 MHZ), trying to prove it's easily possible to run malware-free on a windows machine, only partly patched, with no av, only Sandboxie, with emphasis on getting the most out of tired, old hardware. I had Linux on it for a while but that was too easy to stay malware free :D ) I posted about it somewhere in these forums a while back but can't find it.

2. Zir F0rmat alot

Zir F0rmat alot Registered Member

I might give up all DATA !

3. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Well you problably do with your nickname

Best regards
    Kees1958 AKA Sir Lan_a_Lot

4. mrfargoreed

mrfargoreed Registered Member

I've recently felt the same. I have a laptop with Symantec Endpoint Protection on it from work - a perfectly good, if not too good, security setup for many people. It's expensive (thank you, work) , it does everything, it's light (yes, you heard me :eek: ) on the system, it covers just about everything there is to be covered, yet I still find myself messing about making FD-ISR snapshots to test different setups. So the firewall isn't as 'leak-proof' as Comodo, Online Armor or Outpost, but it does what it's supposed to do by stopping people hacking my machine. I can't remember the last time I denied outbound access to something on my machine because I don't run anything nasty anyway. My browser is sandboxed, so nothing gets in. So why the hell did I spend most of last week trying Avira, Online Armor and others? How secure can I be?

I've been running SandboxIE, FD-ISR and SEP and everything is smooth, the firewall is blocking attacks, nothing is getting through SandboxIE and I'm actually enjoying just using my laptop for once :) ! I feel less stressed about worrying about if I have the best AV/firewall combo on this current day (which we all know will change by tomorrow).

So one AV stops a threat another doesn't. So one firewall stops blahblahblah.exe and another one doesn't. I think I'm going to 'put my faith in one product and calling it a day'. It may not be everyone's choice, but at this moment in time, it's mine, and why would I need to change it? In case Avira/PrevX/etc might block something SEP misses? But what if those programs miss something SEP wouldn't have missed? Forget it. I'm sticking with this for a while and feel the stress ease away.....:)

5. Phenom

Phenom Registered Member

Agree, you said it best. For example, running Norton Internet Security 2010 with immunization and windows updates, chances of you getting a dangerous virus is unlikely.

6. Zir F0rmat alot

Zir F0rmat alot Registered Member

Hmmm... Hvem vet (.::_/\@/\_::.)
    The only thing i know iS that nothing iz 100%
    I recommend big restrictions..
    Harden your 0perateing System HARD!!

My net is spinning, Just waiting 4 the victim

Last edited: Sep 26, 2009
  7. CogitoTesting

CogitoTesting Registered Member

I knew it, well then you changed your avatar from ESS to NAV. I guessed you still listen to what you are told :D.

8. guest

guest Guest

Well, avatar and av solution switching is a serious addiction and there's no real cure for it.
    By no means just one revolutionary :p speech to the nation is doing the trick as we all saw.
    And we all knew this when the sermon was preached, right? - I sure did. :D

At least it is 'Wilders' and not cocaine. :argh: - @trjam: Get well soon! :D
    Maybe switching AV only once a day would be progress in midterm? :cool:

Btw: I am on my 3rd (?) day of using :) only Avira Premium + Prevx. No withdrawal symptoms so far! :D

9. kasperking

kasperking Registered Member

hehe .....cause you were HIT....MAN by hitman(pro)

10. icr

icr Registered Member

Even the most well known Anti-viruses like Avira,Norton........
    and lesser know Anti-viruses like QuickHeal,Twister.......
    can detect most of the viruses out there unless you are a maniac while surfing.
    So why get paranoid about being infected.

@ trjam
    I see that you have changed your avatar from eset to norton.
    Did Eset caused problems?

11. guest

guest Guest

RIGHT!!! :) If I think about it ... yeah .. that killer snake cured me with it's poison!? :D
    So trjam ... maybe want to take a bite too? :cool:

*justkidding* and *relaxplease*

-> Laughing is the best medicine!!!

Yessss, even better than NOD32 or anything else some certain avatar :) will make you believe. If your eyes even can follow a chameleon constantly changing it's outfit and not getting o_O dizzy! :D

We are ALL addicted to something (or someone :) ) anyway, right!? :cool: And no .. I don't tell you what my craving is if you haven't figured it out! :D ... so it's really ok trjam .. please keep those avatars coming! :D

12. 1boss1

1boss1 Registered Member

Any switching and changing i do is almost always due to functionality, compatibility, system resources, ease of use, impact on daily activities and things of that nature.

There's so many non-security related programs on my machine i "wish" done xyz, so if i come across an alternate that does the original task plus does xyz i'll switch to it and give it a try. I'm continually refining and minimizing the programs i use as applications become more feature rich.

If we all stuck to one piece of software, Google Chrome for instance would have zero users because we all had working browsers when it was released.

However yeah i completely agree, it's pretty stupid jumping from the latest comparative winner to the next just because it scores 1.4% higher. Many people don't even understand how it translates to their real world usage, they just see numbers and jump. It's also crazy running a swag of security apps at once, who knows what is fighting for an API and trying to quarantine a file simultaneously to different locations.

Oh yeah, i've actually had my machine bricked by security "solutions" more than malware.. So testing is all fun and games until somebody gets hurt. :argh:

13. Ade 1

Ade 1 Registered Member

Get well soon trjam.

We are all rooting for you!

14. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Great OP. Many other posts here have said it all. I agree completely. I just said it another thread - I use a light virtualization app, an anti-executable, keep data on a separate partition and stay behind a router. Simple and I know I'm safe.

15. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

:cautious: If you listened to every Tom Dick & Harriette :shifty: you'd need a psycologist by the end of the month :cautious: (I'm only free on tuesdays lately) :shifty: Last time I looked I'd read over 1000 reviews on AV's Firewalls, and Spyware :blink: Now if I took notice of them all, I wouldnt have any of those programs installed at all, cause I wouldnt have a bloody clue which to choose :ninja: So I choose to pick, install and forget, (In fact I've forgot what I do! have installed :p ) I wish I could get all the critics, and such in a big open field and let them battle it out, I bet at the end of the day, it will be like a sceen from Ben Hur :cautious:

16. drkoopz

drkoopz Registered Member

The OP has stated something I've thought for a long time when browsing the Wilders Security forums. Personally I never browse the forums for *my* benefit but for the benefit of friends and family who stumble onto viruses regularily. I like to research products that best clean their PCs and keep them safe.

I personally haven't been infected since 2004 when I ran an outdated Norton product and IE6. I browse the dark corners of the internet, and I might do things where people are likely to get viruses. But I have basic common sense. I have 5 rules to live by.

1: A free screensaver is never a free screensaver

2: an .exe file under 1 meg should be uploaded to virus total. Also think about what the normal size of that file should be. Does it seem amazingly small for what that software should be doing?

3: adblockers are not only convenient, they chew up a lot of dangerous advertising as well.

4: Are there reputation ratings for users on websites you purchase or download from? Use them.

5: never run your PC as an administrator.

17. tipstir

tipstir Registered Member

Seems to be a private post thread though.. Heads up Sandboxie if it has a bug in the code it will let in those pest onto your system. That was one of the reasons why I had stopped using it and gone for GesWall.

18. trjam

trjam Registered Member

actually 5 is one of the other things I am tired of being told. ;)

I dont work for my computer, my computer works for me. At least now it does with security.:)

19. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Sandboxie has been bypassed. I think of 2 times Tzuk had to make upgrades for this. Peter knows better then me.

20. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

i can tell you only this for sure , Geswall is a Switz cheese mate , after see how its work and try it my self , its not worth spending time learning it (You may check its forum and see how its vulnerable).

regard SB , i may advice u to reconsider :) , You may find it power full if you dig in it .

cheers :)

21. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I would agree.

22. drkoopz

drkoopz Registered Member

You don't have to, and on occasions I don't either. But it helps protect the core of your system.

What I prefer on a day to day basis is a streamlined system and minimal programs running on boot up. Basic Antivirus + Steam + AIM Pro is all I need to start my day. If I need programs beyond that base set up I will then begin running them. It may offend some people but I consider layers of security 'clutter'. I just don't get infected and it taxes my system and my time on a daily basis. I hope with the release of MSE we start to realize that the PC security market fuels its sales on FUD.

23. tipstir

tipstir Registered Member

Geswall Free or Pro well yeah not perfect nor using it to save files or print shares over the network is any joy. I'll see what sandboxie has to offer again. Goodbye [G]

24. trjam

trjam Registered Member

let me just reinterate about G-Data. It is huge and you have to install it, defrag, and let this baby set in. Afterwards i have found it to be the lightest, quickest, and try to hit a rogue site with it, AV on the market. Yes, I am going out on a line and saying, Buy it! It is damn worth it.

25. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

I'm telling you, you need Surun! :D :p ...seriously, it's a great utility for running programs you want with elevated rights, either all the time or on demand.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.