I am ol need and need a new computer with little maintenace; W@hat do recomend?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by cortez, Mar 15, 2020.

1. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I ran Windows for a fair bit. Apart from some PUP's I only ever contracted a trojan once, and that was my own fault in a way. I even actually liked Win 7. Windows is still not particularly secure though in my opinion, I certainly wouldn't bank online with it. I ran Win 7 for over a year without being able to update it, through no fault of my own. It was a perpetual security worry. The Borkday updates were past a joke after a while. Which is why I started the 'Bork Tuesday' thread in the first place.

What I said earlier about Linux compatibility is probably the reason many have had bad experiences with it. I learned that unless the device you're running Linux on isn't inherently compatible, or designed to be compatible, there will be issues. This can often be with updating cycles. I know this from experience.

I would recommend the OP to buy a computer *pre-installed with Linux. Failing that, a Chromebook would be a decent alternative. I just can't recommend Windows anymore.

*Lenovo computers are generally Linux compatible.

2. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I believe we have answered the OP's question, which is what this thread is all about. I am concerned that several posters have become more interested in proving their point & winning an argument that they are in providing the very basic help that OP requested. Notice the wording of the OP's topic line. He is not an IT, don't you see that?

I hope the Linux VS Windows debate will tone down a bit -- I imagine it is rather confusing to average users who visit Wilders in search of this sort of guidance.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
  3. login123

login123 Registered Member

I'm old (ish). :)
    I've been running windows since 3.1, maybe 3.0, don't remember.
    I used computers at work before there WAS a windows OS.
    I'm not very tekkie compared to the folks on this forum.
    That's by choice, I don't spend the time to dissect code, write code, etc. In that I'm selfish, sort of lean on others, but there it is.

I have put my family on good quality computers running win 10 for several reasons.
    - By comparison, windows has an easier learning curve.
    - My family attracts malware like mad.
    - They don't have time to tinker with their computers, they just use'em, come to me when they goof up.
    - It's easy to secure windows. You just need a backup system and a virus protector, both available for free. ( I still run an old win xp box that has proven pretty tough).
    - Win 10 has a very effective, free, integrated built-in virus protector.
    - Windows has lots of available free softwares for DVD burnng, backup imaging, system tuneup, etc.
    - There is a large community that can offer suggestions, help, references, etc.
    - If you have a windows computer you can experiment with Linux, run it from a live CD or a usb stick, etc.

So I would suggest for you a good win 10 computer, then browse around the 'net for suggestions about best safety practices.

That said, I'll never go to win 10. When win 7 and win xp are no longer useable I'll go to Linux.
    I want off the treadmill. But then I'm old (ish) and have time to experiment.

4. shmu26

shmu26 Registered Member

Agreed, Linux is not the answer for most people. But for those who do happen to like linux, or prefer linux, dual-booting is a valid solution. For hard-to-do tasks on linux, you simply boot into Windows. This could be an old, outdated version of Windows, it doesn't really matter. Nothing wrong with using Windows 7 to burn optical disks or whatever. Because when you finish that well-defined task, you just go back to your safer world of linux.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.