I AM DETERMINED!AVG is better.

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by adiel, Jan 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adiel

adiel Registered Member

i knew people who think nod32 is the greatest av would be like this...but anyway..just to make myself clear..i am not a great av tester..and i am not trying to be a big smart pc security wizard..but i am at least pc user who loves his security..its my right...so when i heard people talking about nod32 that its great..naturally i was interested..but i am just trying to say that i am DISAPPOINTED.i mean so much big talk and performanceo_Onothing.
    And i know the difference between a virus and a trojan...but its You who are missing the whole point...AVG is also not a trojan hunter like nod32..but the whole point is that even when avg is not a trojan hunter still it can detect many trojans that nod32 CANNOT...am i making myself clear?
    and i use avg peofessional..i just gave an example that even avg free is better than nod323..because i have free addition too..and its my persoanl experience.and stop telling me about those websites with rankings..what should i do about these rankings when avg instantly detected those trojans on my pc and nod32 did'nto_Ogot it?and try to be understanding..rather than being sarcastic.

2. xor

xor Guest

Then try a AV such as Kaspersky or even the new GAV and you (can) detect more trojans.
    Or use TDS / TH with your scanner together.

just my 2 cents

-[xor]-

3. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

adiel,

No doubt your are entitled to your own opinion. Although IMO you still do miss the point as for antiviruses is concerned - so be it.

Thus, if you are a happy camper using antivirus X: good for you.

That said: since you obviously are a happy camper, you've made your point. Please post your preferences on the appropriate forum - like this one.

regards.

paul

4. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Adiel.You mentioned that AVG detected trojans on your pc that NOD32 didn't.That probably won't change.The reason being that NOD32 is an anti-virus program!When I use an anti-virus program,I want it to detect viruses.KAV is one av program that detects more trojans than most av programs.That's cool!But not a selling point to me.IMO the best layered protection is a good av program and a good anti-trojan program.Test AVG vs. TDS-3,Boclean,or Trojan Hunter for trojan detection.I'd be willing to bet that it doesn't fair well!Understand though that I have nothing against AVG or any other free av program.If someone wants to run AVG,it's a free country.But I won't agree that AVG is better than NOD32 in the category that matters,anti-virus protection.

5. Think about how many virures or trojans you may NOT be detecting, because AVG is not a winner at Virus Bulletin (at least not 20 times!) and because you don't have a dedicated trojan detector, like TDS or Trojanhunter.. I am not trying to be smart b saying this, but when AVG found those trojans it was just "luck"...

I would rather have over $100 on my computer for security software, and not have any problems, instead of a freebie or rely on only one product for my security. To me, that's dangerous.. Malware is getting worse and worse, and I KNOW what it's like to have your sytem down because of mis information, or not making a sound investment. That's why I have NOD32, a software and a hardware firewall, and a dedicated anti trojan.. Also I have MRU Blaster, Tracks Eraser Pro, and Spybot S&D...

6. sig

sig Registered Member

So are you trying to convert people or what? If you're happy with AVG, fine.

Will you convince others that AVG is a better AV than NOD? Not likely, based on your posts to date. Everyone else has their own experiences too and reasons for their judgment on which AV to use. And they may also consider the views of people and/or organizations based on an established track record and known expertise in that area. Which as far as I know anyway, you don't have.

Something else to consider in anecdotal tests: methods of detection may differ among different products, whether AV or AT. I recall another round of "tests" by another pc user (not a professional) long ago who claimed that his results proved that "Brand Z" scanner was no good because it didn't alert on cetain malware in a zipped file. But Brand Z's method is to detect the malware and prevent infection upon execution of the file and it indeed did its job when someone attempted to unzip and run the file. But the "tester" was oblivious to that. The tester didn't get that the methodology of detection differed from some other similar apps but the detection and protection was really there. Instead he/she claimed that Brand Z was bad. But his test wasn't a true test of Brand Z's functionality.

So until and unless the methodology of the tests themselves, the nature and presentation of the malware and a knowledge of how the scanner is supposed to work is all detailed, there's no way to tell if the tests and the results are valid or not.

BTW while many AV's do include many Trojan in their defs, that's not their main gig. KAV reportedly is the best at trojan detection among the AV's. With the rest, especially for folks who get around and download a lot on the net, a dedicated anti trojan is recommended, regardless of the AV used. NOD is not a trojan scanner nor does it claim to be. That's why people should get what they believe suits them best for their individual needs.

7. SSP

SSP Guest

It is your right to be pig headed and obstinate too. If AVG is so good why has it only 1 VB100%? If NOD32 is so bad why has it 21 VB100%? I think you are just a troll looking for some attention.

8. flawed_cat

flawed_cat Registered Member

Well guys, I be at risk for troll #2.
    I tried the world's best #1 Anti-virus: Nortons.
    Now the disc sets in the rack unused. If I
    had to use Norton's AV I wouldn't use any at all.
    I guess I've Been using AVG6 for a couple years now.
    It has caught every virus/worm/trojan I've ever got and regardless of any test results, it hasn't let me down yet.
    Just caught and removed the last infection a few days ago.
    I don't know how great Nod32 is but AVG ain't bad.

9. sig

sig Registered Member

I know of a number of people who have also used AVG for years with good results. I didn't say it was bad. But I wouldn't argue that it's better than all the other AV's. Others have said it didn't catch stuff and they wound up infected. YYMV.

And who said Norton's the "world's best #1 anti-virus?" Their ads or a mag in which they advertise? #1 best seller perhaps. ;)

10. adiel

adiel Registered Member

For people who did'nt read my first post iwould make it clear that i am just comparing AVG and nod32..not any other av. and secondly i would like to say
    why do you people always miss my point??how many of you have actually TESTED your av?i think most of you just read that nod32 has won 200 awards so thats the best..those rankings and awards are nothing compared to personal experience...and i have avp too and its certainly great..no doubt about it..and i use AVG professional..but i am just comparing free edition because i tested on free edition which gave better results than nod32..i just want to say that nod32 does'nt deserve so much praises.and about rankings..recently pcmag had ranked aniti viruses..they did'nt even bothered including nod32 in that top av list..so what?would you believe them?

11. msingle

msingle Registered Member

flawed_cat you say that AVG has caught every virus/worm/trojan you've ever got? This is said by everyone who will defend AVG to the death against any other solution.

My question to you is how do you know it caught every one? Obviously either it caught them or it didn't but if it didn't a message isn't going to pop up and say "sorry, you are now infected with xxx virus and we can't fix it so you ought to go with a more robust AV program".

Point is you wouldn't know whether or not it has caught everything unless you've scanned with other tools as well to cross check every once in awhile.

You may not get a message - you're computer just may start acting weird or any of the other symptoms.

So maybe you should have said - AVG has caught every virus/trojan/worm that it caught but I haven't a clue as to how many it didn't catch.

And if I may ask what turned you against NAV to the point that you would get infected rather than use it if it was your only choice?

12. sig

sig Registered Member

Adiel: Having had a glimpse at the testing methodologies of some commercial mags I wouldn't necessarily give their rankings a great deal of credence.

And I think you missed the point. What was your testing methodology, what did you test and how? You've provided no specific data to provide a basis for an analysis of your results.

I can say I tested AV brands x and y and my results say x detected 30% more than and y; ergo x is clearly better than y.

There. Are you convinced brand x is better than y?

(And BTW, the Wilders.org does test the products they review.)

13. msingle

Adiel,

You mention that PC Magazine review of AV programs and make it sound like NOD32 wasn't good enough to even include in the review. This amongst your posts saying how good AVG is compared to NOD.

Is that the same PC Magazine review that had this to say about AVG pro? "Grisoft also offers AVG 6.0 Free Edition, which lacks some features, such as scan scheduling and product support, though it has a simpler interface. But since AVG missed six viruses on our Virus Detection test and had seven false positives, even the free version isn't worth the price.

I take that to mean, based on the review, the free or pro version isn't worth it. Whether it's believable or not, you brought the review up basically saying that NOD32 wasn't even worth the magazine's time. So, you put weight on the fact the review doesn't include NOD32 but don't put weight on the fact that AVG Pro tied for worst of all reviewed and according to them not worth the price even for the free version?

Irony will always get you.

14. notageek

notageek Registered Member

Well, I'm not going to get into this little who's better thing. I just got a few things to say. If anyone is using any kind of free AV always make sure you go to a online AV scanning site and scan to make sure your free AV is not missing anything.

15. xor

xor Guest

i think all here should calm down a little :D

[-rox-]

16. xor

xor Guest

Or is even infected :D :D :D isn't it ? :D

17. flawed_cat

So, how do you know the AV you use has caught everyone?
    I also have a backup AV installed for cross reference. I noticed from a link someone gave here that the "Editors #1
    choice" was Nortons...but the "Members #1 choice" was AVG. Nortons is problematic on my OS plus being way to much for my little system. I like something lite...like AVG.
    And so far, ever since AVG decided to go "Free," I've been using it without any problem. So, if it was an open door
    for infection I wouldn't notice it, eh? I've got all kinds of infections but just don't know it? I'm not saying AVG is better than, just that it's good enough for me. It is not
    as useless that some of you guys seem to think and I
    don't think your's is bullet proof. For safety I would rate
    something like Norton Ghost, Drive Image, etc., just as
    important, if not more so.

18. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Ditto.

The fact that AVG "hasn't let you down yet" is purely luck. Wait until a *real* nastie comes to a screen near you soon. Even the best of them has failures, let alone a free one.

AVG is a nice FREE one, but you get what you pay for.

I have recommened AVG to some people who REFUSE to pay for an AV, but emphasise they must also use 1 or more programs to try and overlap their security.

Someone in here said "layered" approach [sorry for not recognising the poster, forgot :) ] and THAT is the only way to go. LAYERED.

#1: Good DEDICATED AV [no, you won't get me to fall in what's *good* trap
    #2: Good DEDICATED AT [ditto]
    #3: Dedicated Script Blocker [ie: Wormguard, Script Sentry]
    #4: Firewall [lots nice FREE ones out there. Kerio, Sygate, ZA]

In that order IMO.

Dedicated in the sense you don't put your family car on a race track & vice versa. A program solely dedicated to finding a particular nastie is the best way IMO.

Then things like javacools' tools: MRU Blaster, Spywareblaster, SpywareGuard, BrowserHijack Blaster

Also: Spybot, AdAware6.0 [now that its out ~ PLUS/PRO versions only at moment ~ FREE one later]

19. flawed_cat

Well Tassie_Devils, if only what you said was true, "You get what you pay for." I've got two paid for AV's and only use one as a backup to the free one. I'll wait for that *real* nasty to come and don't expect it to be much of a problem
    unless it's an overhead nuclear blast that fries all the transisters. I don't have much of a problem with viruses or worms since I started using an AV. None to be exact. But
    alas, I've been warned...The End Is Near! :D
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    SpywareBlaster~Freeware
    SpyBot~Freeware
    Script Sentry~Freeware
    RegProt~Freeware
    I get the feeling I got more than I paid for.
    Freeware doesn't mean Badware at all. :D

20. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

LOL flawed_cat and then when the end does come your nick may well end up being

flayed_cat :D

21. flawed_cat

That's cool!
    You can eat me after I'm flayed if you want. :D :D

22. msingle

This is like a religious war or a debate about politics or abortion. People have their own ideas and if they are stuck in a certain belief and don't have an open mind you'll never be able to convince them that they are wrong or that they could be more right.

Any AV program is better than none at all. I know tons of people who don't have any protection at all. So the fact that you are using any AV protection at all shows you have more common sense than a lot of people.

23. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

True!! Too many people are using "none at all." The people who are regulars at security boards and sites like this are generally not the people whose systems are the ones wrecking havoc across the Internet, with multiple malware infections, while they have no clue what's going on. It's everyone else that's the problem.

If only those "masses of unprotected machines" would get something. If all the unprotected computers used AVG, it'd be a huge improvement from the way things are now.

I think an informed user can do just fine using AVG. I consider myself informed and I use AVG. Therefore, it must be true. :D :D

24. UNICRON

UNICRON Technical Expert

For a debate to have merit the opposing arguers must be willing, given a sufficient amount of evidence, to admit they are wrong. There must be SOME evidence that, should it arise, convince any party that they are wrong.

Since there can be AT MOST only one TRULY right answer and all others must be wrong, it is statistically unlikely any one arguer will be right. Be prepared for that.

If you feel that there is no one right answer to a question, that is because the question has not been defined in a quantifiable way. "What is the best AV?" is such a question. "What is the best AV for on demand detection of this particular list of 'in the wild' viruses that are inside zip files?" is not.

Members of a debate must be seeking the truth above all else, especially above the desire to be right. As soon as that desire is involved, the debate is worthless.

Unfortunately, as with religion, politics, abortion...., this is rarely the case when discussions of AV, AT, FW, OS.... are considered.

PS.

I do not agree that any AV is better than none at all. Those that mangle your system when there is naught a virus to be found are worse than nothing.

25. sig

sig Registered Member

My understanding is that AVG free and pro are essentially the same product, but the pro has additional features. The virus defs are the same. Are there any qualitative differences between them, detection- wise? I just ask since some people criticise AVG on the basis that it's freeware. But I understand that the version usually used in the published tests people cite is AVG Pro. If there is no qualitative difference in detection between the two, then if it is or isn't good, the price isn't the reason.

"I do not agree that any AV is better than none at all. Those that mangle your system when there is naught a virus to be found are worse than nothing."

An excellent point! I once had an AV recommended to me because it amazingly caught all sorts of things other AV's didn't catch! I tried it and they were right! False positives on system files. Yikes! Luckily I was so amazed at the results I checked them all out. And then dumped the AV.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.