Hybrid Suite Experiment Online Armor with Alternate Firewall Engine

Discussion in 'polls' started by Escalader, Feb 1, 2009.

?

Do you have any interest in a Hybrid Suite Online Armor with other FW Engines?

Poll closed Mar 3, 2009.
  1. Yes I'm interested

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  2. No, I'm not interested

20 vote(s)
    80.0%
  3. If yes would you test Avira?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. If yes would you test Comodo?

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  5. If yes would you test Kerio?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. If yes would you test PC Tools?

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  7. If yes would you test ZA?

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

One of Online Armor's options is to uninstall it's Firewall Engine. The remaining security OA features are still present if a user takes this route.

I'm considering starting a thread to explore/experiment with this idea by replacing the OA FW engine with other FW engines.

This poll is intended to determine if there is any interest here at Wilder's in such a thread. I would have to invest a considerable effort to run such a thread and I don't want to waste my time or yours.:D

No one should conclude that this poll indicates that I think there is anything "wrong" with the OA FW engine. :cool:

This is a technical experiment if we proceed.

2. MikeNash

MikeNash Security Expert

Hi All,

OA was previously described as a securitySuite, a HIPs, and "anti bad thing" and antimalware.

However, in recent months it has solidified into a personal firewall. That's the focus, the effort and really what the product now has evolved into.

Therefore, the "remove firewall engine" part is therefore pretty much obsoleted by this change. Why install a firewall if you are going to remove it?

This feature will not be present in the 3.1 final release.

Mike

3. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Hello Thread:

In view of OA's change in design policy, there is no point in continuing with a thread experimenting with alternate FW engines in conjunction with OA.

To answer Mike's question,
    The answer is the FW engine is replaced as with my current Hybrid OA.

It is running (as I post this) with the OA Beta 3.1 version 20 with the OA FW uninstalled and replaced with PC Tools FW Plus version 37. So the concept does currenly work.

How well it works would need more testing.

The concept of build your own suite still is a valid one to explore just not in conjuntion with the final release of OA.

In a way, the Hybrid is not unlike the layered defense or picking the best of breed of the products.

We need the best available combo's of:

AV
    ASW
    HIPS
    FW
    Image Backup and Recovery

4. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

I agree with the idea of creating personal security combo, the same I do, but I don't understand why to change the Online fw, that is one of the best fw: or you mean to change the fw in the free version because it has only the Standard Mode ? If so, my answer to your question is: Yes

5. alex_s

alex_s Registered Member

This poll is completely crazy :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.