hyberfil.sys

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by stapp, Apr 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

I have system restore turned off as I use FD-ISR so will the hyberfil.sys file still be there, as it is still checked in power options but I cannot find it even with hidden files set to show.
    (I ask because my anti virus said it couldn't enter that file to check it)

2. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hello stapp :)

FD-ISR does not restore hibernation file. It is created from scratch when your computer hibernates. You may also want to disable System Restore service if you disabled it from control panel->system.

Cheers.

3. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Sorry Seer, I'm not quite sure what you mean by this.

4. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Well, system restore runs as a service. Disabling it from control panel->system only prevents it from running (performing restoration). But it still uses some system resources through svchost.exe if you don't disable it's service. Go to services MMC (start->run->services.msc), stop and disable System Restore.

:thumb:

5. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Good suggestion The Seer, since i've discovered it mysteriously re-enabled and monitoring all 4 :eek: of my drives again after disabling from the settings menu. (Wondered why things had slowed down again)
    Some registry cleaner programs after fixing set a restore point for safety so will turn it on again if not disabled at the services source.

6. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Yes, MS applications (Media Player, IE7, Office) tend to reactivate system restore also if the service is not disabed on startup.

:)

7. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I just checked, it was disabled. I mentioned this in my installation files. I got that tip from Tweakhound's website, who is obsessed by tweaking. I just took the reasonable ones.

8. aigle

aigle Registered Member

As seer said hiberfile.sys is related to hibernation, not system restore.

9. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

I have disabled sys restore in services now as well, -thanks for that.

If FD does not restore the hibernation file, and I never use hibernation, how can my anti virus say this file is not open to them for scanning in the reports list?

The strange thing is I have searched hard for this file so I can see how big it is but I cannot find it!

10. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Right Click desktop go to...Properties/Screensaver TAB/Power/Hibernate and if you did already remove that checkmark Windows i believe removes & hides that file from your view temporarily. This is one of so-called tweaks i use when reinstalling afresh since i never bother with hibernation and personally consider it excess strain on some machines to always go in and out of that mode everyday.

11. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Stapp

I don't remember but if you have perfect disk and do an analyze it will show up that way. Size wise it will be as big as the amount of Ram you have.

Pete

12. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Peter I just did an analyze with perfect disk as you suggested.

In the results box which came up, the excluded file tab lists c/hiberfil.sys as having access denied so I still don't know how to find out how big it is as it wasn't listed anywhere else in the result box tabs.

Should I just turn the thing off?

13. Peter2150

If it isn't a laptop, I'd turn off hibernate. Eats a big chunk of the disk, and doesn't save all that much. I never use it.

14. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hi stapp, did u uncheck this option to see hiberfil.sys?

Attached Files:

• a.jpg
      a.jpg
      File size:
      43.3 KB
      Views:
  15. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hi stapp. :)

If you want to see hiberfil.sys, you have to check 'show hidden files' and uncheck 'hide protected OS files'. When you turn off hibernation (in power options, cpanel) the file hiberfil.sys is automatically deleted. It is normal that the file is closed for scanning, as it's protected, I believe it's locked somehow (encrypted). Hibernation is not a bad option, it allows you to quickly resume your work from standby. The opened files are resumed as well as opened applications, in other words, your RAM is restored from the hiberfil.sys (Pete is right about the size).

Cheers.

EDIT: aigle, you were faster than me... :thumb:

16. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hibernation is very useful for Notebooks, I always use it.

17. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Thanks very much for sticking with me on this one, I had omitted to uncheck the view of protected operating files as well.

I have unchecked the hibernate option now as this is not a laptop and I don't use hibernation.

And, yes, it was as big as my memory!

The reason I thought I would see it in perfectdisk was that it says it defrags the hibersys.fil. (It won't get the chance now)

Also got the chance to see how much my FD logs are growing!

Last edited: Apr 9, 2007
  18. Peter2150

The logs are easy to deal with, just use the clear logs option.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.