Hunch PC is compromised. How do I eliminate any possiblity of malware on it?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by fedupfred, Mar 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fedupfred

fedupfred Registered Member

After reading this article, I've become concerned that my planned restoration to factory settings of my Y500, using the "Lenovo Button", will not be sufficient to be sure there is nothing still lurking on it.

My question is: how do I get rid of any threat, software, firmware and hardware?

I'm willing to go to great lengths as far as time is concerned, however I'm a bit dumb, so if intensive reading is involved, I probably won't be able to take advantage of anything dense and/or long.

Perhaps are there some free live DVDs/CDs that can clear everything beyond a reasonable doubt?

Thanks in advance!

2. phalanaxus

phalanaxus Registered Member

There are some forums like bleepingcomputer, which specialize in removing malware. If you have doubts and don't know how to check for sure, you can use their free services.

3. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

rubbish article - although bios or firmware hacks are possible those are very rare in the wild. in your case i would let your computer beeing made by a professional service - dont waste time with own useless efforts. the only thing you can do yourself is backup backup and again backup for emergency case. weekly backup of all important data with a file backup and monthly imaging for the whole system. hold the 3 last states. if you feel not comfortable consider software like shadow defender. HTH

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.