Hum. Linux.

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by sosaiso, Apr 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

2. dog

dog Guest

My first attempt with Gentoo wasn't successful - I'll have to print out their Installation FAQ and try it again ... Overall Mepis and Xandros don't seem too bad, but I ran into some hardware issues, that I didn't want to invest the time into trying to fix (they just didn't float my boat enough to warrant the time and energy) - I'm back to Mandriva (By far my favourite) SuSE 10 and Fedora 5 (which I currently config'ing). When I try Gentoo again ... I'll report back

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

hey dog, does Mandriva offer an update program similar to SuSE's Yast?

4. dog

dog Guest

Attached Files:

5. clansman77

clansman77 Registered Member

6. WSFuser

how up-to-date are those lists btw? thanx for the screenshot too.

7. bktII

bktII Registered Member

I received the Fedora Core 5 DVD several days ago and just finished upgrading my Fedora Core 4 installation.

Still testing things out, but the upgrade appears to have went well. My Applications Menu is mangled up and I've got an issue with vlc media player that I'm trying to resolve (a shared library issue). Can stream audio with RealPlayer just fine. All my shell scripts in /usr/local/bin are present and functional as well as my Java apps in /opt.

bktII

8. dog

dog Guest

Fairly ... The updates are usually couple of days behind ... example the Ethereal update was 2 and 1/2 days behind the announcement, which isn't a big deal IMO ... you can add repositories as you wish ... BTW if you're unconfortable with compiling ... SuSE 9.3 RPMs work fine with Mandriva 2006 .... I've used them on occasion - I'm still not a master at conpiling my own from an archive (sadly :'( - I continue to work on it though ;))

9. WSFuser

compiling? what do u need to compile?

10. dog

dog Guest

Sorry, I meant trying to build an RPM from a tarball. (I had a few drinks yesterday so my thinking was all over the place ) ... Installing from a tarball is easy ... Here's an example for firefox

Open Console

su
    password
    updatedb
    locate firefox-1.5.0.3.tar.gz

(It'll give you the output - the path to the file) example /home/User/Download/Browser_Downloads/firefox-1.5.0.3.tar.gz
    cd /usr/lib (to change dir)
    tar -zxvf /home/User/Download/Browser_Downloads/firefox-1.5.0.3.tar.gz (to exact to your library)
    ln -s /usr/lib/firefox/firefox /usr/bin/firefox (to make a symlink in /usr/bin)

That's it :)

Attached Files:

11. dog

dog Guest

Now you're using 1.5.0.3

Attached Files:

12. bktII

bktII Registered Member

Restored my Fedora Core 4 image yesterday P.M.

Will maybe try FC5 again in a few months. PostgreSQL was broken on the upgrade. MySQL worked and I could access via Java-based SQL Clients, but both mysql-administrator and mysql-query-browser were broken. None appeared to be an easy fix. Gbnumeric also broken.

13. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Out the Window

Story

14. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

my Ubuntu runs perfectly, infact it's so good i'll never use windows again :cool:

the fact this guy was desparate to get Linux for Dummies probably tells you abit about him :D

15. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

Personally I became a big fan of Fedora, I used many other distributions before but they don't come close to Fedora for me. Ubuntu in my opinion has way too many open bugs, and they make too many changes in the "core system" while their staff is too small to have things worked out and tested very well. Of course the fact it's based on Debian is a big plus.

Fedora is very stable and secure (build-in firewall and SELinux). It also has a big community and it has all the profit from the very expirienced Red Hat employees. Things like multimedia are missing but can easy be installed using 3rd party packages (Livna and FreshRMPS).

16. aigle

aigle Registered Member

BTW, it is a fact that linux is not easy for any beginner due to command line interface, I am not talking about the usesr here who like to play around with every thing.

17. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

Linux is not for ready for the "normal user". But face the fact, most "normal users" can't even setup a proper Windows installation... o_O

However when you're a computer enthousiast Linux will serve you with every you can wish for. Also for corporate and workspaces demanding a high level of security there is a very bright near future for the big Linux Distributions for sure!

18. WSFuser

u said it well sputnik, that being said tho, i am waiting for linux to become more mainstream and ready for "normal" users.

19. sosaiso

sosaiso Registered Member

I thought the article ronjor pointed out can sum up most experiences pretty well. It works well if you're not doing anything special. [aka casual surfing, etc.]

But if you're doing heavy office duties or even a student who must work with various programs for school, Linux is not the answer. At least not yet.

20. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.