Hum. Linux.

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by sosaiso, Apr 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

./scanModem means run scanModem from the directory i'm in, so for it to work you you need to cd to your desktop if that's where it is, also, Linux commands are case sensitive.

the Bad interpreter, Permission Denied bit is maybe because you need to run su ./scanModem (Super User, which is the same as admin in windows) or scanModem hasn't been made executable
    cd Desktop/
    chmod +x scanModem

you can check if it's been made executable by doing this
    cd Desktop
    ls -a

if it's executiable you will see a line with scanmodem at the end starting with this -
    -rwxr-xr-x
    if not it will look like this -
    -rw-r--r--

BTW r=read w=write x=execute

i'll see if i can find out about su. i've only ever really used Ubuntu so i don't know why su isn't working.

2. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I was already in the right directory sdb1( USB drive containing the scanModem file). Ant I did enter as root. Moreover I checked properties of scanModem file and it were rwxrwxr-x, so this problem is really stange. May be something special of this version( CPX MINI). Although I was able to run it on DSL but just curious why it is not working in CPX. BTW, CPX has very good look as compared to DSL.
    I am now currently downloading Kubuntu( on dial up---- bit by bit).
    I want to ask on live CD, if I want to install some driver or software, can I install it on a USB drive, or inside Ram( don,t want to touch my HD), or it will be permanantly installled in the CD with CD writer?- just new to these Live CDs!
    Thanks for the help.

3. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LiveCDPersistence
    NOTE is says for Ubuntu i'm not sure about Kubuntu!

you might try buying a Linux magazine too, ATM Linux Format has 3 live Distros with the option to install to your HDD if you like the livecd - (that's the DVD version, the CD version only has SimplyMepis which is one of the most popular distros). however, the only real option is the SimplyMepis out of the three, the other two Gentoo and OpenSolaris aren't such good options.

4. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

use sudo instead of su that should solve it :cool:

if for some reason that doesn't work you can do this to generate a password. but, print/write this out first because you will loose the GUI while you do it!

do this key combo
    crtl-alt-f1

then type
    passwd to set the root password and then crtl-alt-f7 to get back to the GUI

5. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks for thr link iceni. Its, really very nice information. I did not find much information about linux presented in so easy way. I think I will try ubuntu. I will try to download it.
    So can we install KDE over ubuntu to tronsform it in kubuntu in live CD?

6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I have tried sudo already but can,t become root by this way.
    SO during the reset of password, it will not ask for password?
    Abd what will be my new passwoed after that(PASSWORD?)

7. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

sudo should work, what error do you get when you try using it? you can try -
    sudo bash
    when you reset the password it should ask you to make one.

BTW if you are thinking of using Kubuntu Simply Mepis is probably a better idea. but, for support Ubuntu is much, much better

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=158294

here's the beginner forum for ubuntu
    http://www.ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=73

plus there's the Ubuntu support forum
    http://www.ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=90

this is the only Kubuntu forum
    http://www.ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=99

have a look at the Last Post times!

here's the Mepis forum
    http://www.mepis.org/forum

8. sosaiso

sosaiso Registered Member

Okay, without turning this thread into an open flame war,

What exactly are the advantages of Linux? I keep hearing about them, but I can't seem to find a definite list. [compared to Windows, Mac also if possible.]

What I have understood is:
    Linux:
    - better kernel.
    - hard to use.

And that's about it. >.<

9. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks iceni, Especially for the links. Ya, I did sudo su and it works also. Thanks.

I will try ubuntu after a break. Just wana ask u were able to use modem on ubuntu? if so what type od modem and PC it was.

10. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

Linux is acutally only the kernel. it's used in Gnu/Linux systems, just about all the programs are Gnu's it's just unfortunate for Gnu alot of people don't realise that.

the reason i think Linux is better is because the software is open source that means for each program used in 'Linux' more programmers have seen, and therefore, corrected, worked on and improved the code. it also means you have better support for the same reasons.

because Linux is open source it means there is much more choice because people can write programs which fit into Linux e.g. have a look at these Window Mangers for Linux (look some of the names up in google image to see how they look, the two most well known are gnome and KDE - Windows only has explorer.exe :( those are just some Window Managers there are many, many other projects!

MS's source code is closed, only afew people within MS can see and improve it. source code which is not available to the public can become bloated and sloppy because the programmers know no one will ever see the code - Windows XP's takes up about 4 times more space on my HDD then Ubuntu - that's just the basic install!!!

i have never had Ubuntu crash on me. the whole system works much better then Windows and is much faster and responsive.

the downside of Linux is hardware support - hardware manufacturers make sure their hardware works for MS software then leave it at that, so it might not work with Linux, that isn't the fault of Linux, but the hardware makers! however, there are some linux friendly manufacturers - HP, nvidia etc it's always best to check something will work with Linux before you buy.

no my modem doesn't really work with Linux, i have a Conexant modem like clansman had, i had to spend sometime making it work. if you have a livecd which works for you and the only thing which doesn't work is your modem then it's probably best to buy a new modem.

here's a page about Linux and modems
    http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Modem-HOWTO.html#toc2

if you want to find a modem which works with K/Ubuntu you can ask/find out at the links below
    http://www.ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=98
    http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=88639

there's also the Wiki
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/

i only use Ubuntu but if you want a different distro it shouldn't be too hard to find something.

11. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

12. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks for the lot of information. I will try with linux, although it,s really hard for me. And to install any software or drivers, I must know the commands.

13. clansman77

clansman77 Registered Member

14. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Ya, thanks clansman77. It realy seems good and deserves to be a "mama" of modem guides. I searched much about linux but did not find it before. From where u got it?
    Thanks.

15. clansman77

i had tried sometime ago to make my internal modem work with ubuntu.i had used the info from that site (the linux documentation project site) to make it work.somebody pointed me to that site early when i was experimenting with linux.it also contains excellent howtos and guides about various aspects of linux.i believe i pointed the same site somewhere above in this thread itself to sosaiso.today i happened to stumble upon the same site and thought that it might help you...

16. aigle

aigle Registered Member

So did u succeed in it?

Thanks for the link. I am still working on it but I am limited due to dial up. Live CDs are not available here in market.I have to download even a single distro in many days.

I will try to ask one of my friends to download them for me as he has DSL, but it is will now take weeks until I can play with ubuntu or any other distro. Somebody in the forums discussed about PClinuxOS to be good for beginners.

17. clansman77

aigle if you need ubuntu i think its better u sign up with
    https://shipit.ubuntu.com/
    they provide absolute free shipment of both live cd and an install cd for you within 3weeks anywhere in the world..i got it like that.they usually sent a 5 cd pack for you and your friends..and if you want to wait a new version of ubuntu will arrive by june 1st-called dapper dake..

about the internal modem.ya i got it working but with a speedcapped driver from linuxant(free version).i could get only 14-20 kbps with it so i went for an external serial modem...they are cheap nowadays...

18. sosaiso

don't ship it yet. Wait a month. That's when the new release is coming out to be shipped. I just found that out today looking at their website. :T

*still waiting for the Linux package to be delievered*

But very good links that I have been pointed to. I started reading, and I feel like I have a clue of what is going on. I can't wait to try it out. :D

Maybe I wont even need to upgrade to Vista! Well, that's the hope...

oh, btw, does linux support zip files, rar's? All I see are like .tar's and things of that nature. I need to receive a lot of zips. I couldn't see if this was a compatibliity issue or not. thanks.

And any recs for a good opensource pdf reader/creator?

19. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I oredered one about more than 2 months back and according to them thry shipped but I never got them. I ordered again about a week back and see this time what happens. After one month when the new version is there, I will order again.
    So if I buy an external modem, it will work with all distro or every distro might need different modem? From where I can find there prices/ choices etc.
    Also I don,t think I can attach an external serial modem with laptop?

20. clansman77

aigle if you buy an external serial modem with a rs232 jack connector i am sure it will work right out of the box for almost every distro of linux 90 percent of times.for some distros u need some tweaking..mine works with ubuntu,mandrake linux,mepis, right out of the box..note it should not be an external usb modem or an internal modem.it should connect to your pc thru your serial port/rs232 jack(an external hardware serial modem)...and if the manufacturer specifies that it works with linux then its even better.though you shouldnt worry about it much..almost every external serial modems work with linux (any distro).linux has prebuilt drivers for external serial modems..

you can search ebay for models and prices..i am not sure about other sites .may be somebody else with the knowhow will chime in..anyway if you make up your mind to buy any particular model search google with the particular model to see anybody has any issues with it..and then finalise it...

if your laptop has a serial port then i think you can attach an external serial modem to that port..you can look into your laptop manual to confirm that..

and i believe you can also get the linux distributions with computer magazines..they are freely distributing linux distributions with them..:)

for novices i recommend-mandriva,suse(a new version 10.1 is coming soon),fedora5,or ubuntu..:thumb:

another way to acquire cds is to contact your local LUGS(linux user groups).they may happily sent you cds if you pay the postage..:cool:

21. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks clansman, that,s really very nice information from you. I am so thankful.

22. clansman77

you are welcome aigle

23. dog [away]

dog [away] Guest

24. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hardening the linux is so far for me. At the moment I want to make it as so soft that I could be able to run it.

Anyhow thanks for the link. I can,t use being beginner but I am sure somebody might try them.

25. sosaiso

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.