How would you rate AVG 7.0 free

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Albinoni, Apr 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wai_Wai

Wai_Wai Registered Member

AVG AntiMalware = AVG + Ewido
    AVG Pro/Free = AVG only

Thanks for the reminder. :)
    By the way, I think AVG has been improved recently. Thus AVG Pro/Free would be better than that in the past even in absence of Ewido.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2007
  2. MalwareDie

MalwareDie Registered Member

I know. Since the OP wants to know about AVG free. That is why I said that AVG Pro would score lower than Avast. Hence, AVG free would have a lower detectino rate than Avast. AVG AntiMalware's detection si not relevant to AVG free and that was what I was tryign to point out.

OOps I didn't notice that you typed thansk for the reminder. I am going blind.

3. Wai_Wai

I see.

Even better, Avira Antivir (top-notch *FREE* antivirus according to AV-Comparatives). It is a clear winner, so we can save our time to second-guess whether AVG Pro/free or Avast has better detection rates. :D

That's the reply to lucas1985.
    As a matter of fact, you both remind the same thing (which is a nice reminder).
    Plus you mentioned first.

Thanks for your reminder after all. :)

4. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

I tried AVG anti virus free editon when Mcafee crapped out on me after 3 months outs of my 3 year subscription and I didn't feel very safe with it. I also tried Antivira but the pop up asking to upgrade to pro everytime you upgraded got annoying fast. Avast was the winner for me. Lots of shields and auto updating with a little slow down and just a tiny thing that popped up on the bottom right of the screen, that went away in a few seconds.

5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

why are people fixated on the notifier from antivir classic.
    you get a free av with a really high detection rate.
    you cant get everything.
    plus there are lots of thread's about diabling the notifier in antivir classic
    lodore

6. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

You can disable ito_O

7. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

Try the search feature. :)

Windows XP Home and Pro:

Boot into Safe Mode (tap F8 repeatedly after you restart the computer)
    Go to C:\Program Files\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\avnotify.exe
    Right-click avnotify.exe-> properties-> security-> advanced
    Under the Permissions folder you will see all of the users. Start with the first user….
    Edit-> Traverse Folder / Execute File-> deny-> ok
    Now perform step 6 for all of the other users-> apply-> yes/ok-> close all open windows
    Reboot the computer into Normal Mode (start-> shutdown-> restart)

Windows XP Pro only:

Start-> Control Panel
    Administrative tools-> Local security policy
    Click on Software Restriction Policy-> Action (at the top)-> create new restriction policies
    Right-click additional rules (on the right side)-> new path rule
    Click Browse and navigate to c:\program files\Antivir\ and double-click avnotify.exe-> set the security level to Disallowed-> apply-> ok

Windows 2000:

Click Start, and then click Run.
    In the Open box, type gpedit.msc, and then click OK.
    Expand User Configuration, expand Administrative Templates, and then expand System.
    In the right pane, double-click Don't run specified Windows applications.
    Click Enabled, and then click Show.
    Click Add, and then type the executable file name of the program that you want to restrict users from running. (For example, type avnotify.exe)
    Click OK, click OK, and then click OK (NOTE: If domain-level policy settings are defined, they may override this local policy setting.)
    Quit Group Policy Object Editor.
    Restart the computer.

8. colt45allstar

colt45allstar Registered Member

AVG is rapidly improving.

It's detection rates are well above what they were in the past.

It's still not something I would consider an upper tier anti virus solution.. but who knows what the next version might bring.

I'm a Kaspersky guy myself.. but am quite impressed with how much AVG has improved.

9. rayoflight

rayoflight Registered Member

AVG free is very good antivirus for average home user.Much less false positives then Avast and Avira have and more stable.
    Ant it's very light:my computer works for me,not for antivirus:)

10. Wai_Wai

They have changed. Avira used to have "false positives" problems, not anymore.
    AVG / Avast / Avira all have few false positives. Just several out of millions of samples (eg just between 2-4 out of millions). It doesn't make any noticeable difference.

Read the test report of November 2006 [PDF] at http://www.av-comparatives.org/ for details.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.