How/Why could this have happened?

Discussion in 'Trojan Defence Suite' started by SnowBlind, Jun 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SnowBlind

SnowBlind Registered Member

I just got done installing TDS-3 on my Win98 computer and this is what happened.....

I installed TDS-3, then copied an updated Radius file (btw that is HORRIBLE name seeing as in the Internet world Radius is an already well known service, but whatever).

After install I had a few more programs that I wanted to check out via WinRAR. Specifically I had a file .0F0 that I wanted to see if WinRAR would recognize as an archive, so I right clicked on the file, which selected "Open With". Then the dialog box came up with the list of programs and I selected WinRar from the list and all hell broke loose.

Apparently without notice or warning it decided to enter a registry entry in "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/*/Shell" It also put the same entry in the .exe Shell area as well.

I've used this on a Windows2000 Server system without encountering anything like this problem.

Any ideas? Trying to be more constructive that ranting and raving. TDS-3 was far far away from WinRAR in the list of programs so it's really weird. I was able to delete the registry entries and everything seems back to normal. And I cannot remember (of course didn't write down) the registry entries that were there, but someone may recognize what I am talking about.

Geoff

2. DolfTraanberg

DolfTraanberg Registered Member

Hi Geoff,
    Why do you think this issue is TDS related ?
    Dolf

3. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

:D Hi Geoff

this i dont understand are you saying the name Radius is alrady taken or complaining its an already well knowen file of TDS which makes it a mark for hackers.

Radius hmmmmmmmm whats the definition of that in a dictionary its like patening the word hi lol

hi is a well knowen gesture should i be upset that some one else uses it

sorry im just wondering what you meant

by the way i am sorry about your pc did you fix it?

i hope you did.

i have a programe called winrar and i have fully legal licenced tds updated definitions and i never had it wig out on me like that.

and what is a .0F0 file i never saw that on an extention of winrar

hold im look at my winrar.

ok im back nope the file that you try to extract is not even aloud as an assochiated file for winrar look

im wondering why you would even try what you did?

nope i dont think tds had anything to do with this one.

i know for a fact if you try to get programs to dio illigal actions like open them up with the wrong utlity it can be nasty

Attached Files:

4. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Hi,

No idea what the problem is, not sure what you mean hell broke loose, what happened ?

The OLD TDS installer would use HKCR\*\shell to enable right click scanning, so perhaps you had a problem with "Scan file with TDS-3" being set as default on unknown file types. The best solution is to uninstall TDS and make sure you install the 5MB installer from our site.

5. Mr.Blaze

:D sorry man im still lost here ill let the big boys handle this but i am curiose because i have all that stuff except that .0F0 file i have 10 gig of stuff and i dont have even one file with .0F0 xtention is that anything like a .nfo file

6. Gavin - DiamondCS

Nope, I think thats what Winrar calls multi part archives after you reach about 300 files in the archive set ? :D

RAR
    R00
    R01
    S00
    S01
    S02
    then T ? U ? .. does that mean F is when you have thousands of archives o_O Id then say it was all WinRAR's fault, you scared it with so many parts to the archive :)

7. Mr.Blaze

o_O 300 or so it really goes that high the most i ever put together was 14 files or so and thats alot

.i cant imagine a file needing 300 or more parts real nightmare

8. Gavin - DiamondCS

Might be 1.44MB split archives :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.