How to use the MS Net Framework??

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Tom772, Nov 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tom772

Tom772 Guest

hi,

Sorry not sure where to post. I have Net Framework installed like alot of people, but i am not sure how to properly use or configure this part of windows and what it really does!! So i way wondering if anyone has any links or info how to secure and use this function of Windows??

Would really like some help on this,

Thanks T

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

You might get a little info on .net here

3. T772

T772 Guest

Thanks bigC:)

regards

T

4. gemmaK

gemmaK Guest

is .NET framework worth installing? it's huge, do we really need it?

regards
    gemma

5. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

You ONLY need it if you have any applications that need it.

The .net framework is a collection of librarys, it is similar to having a set of common dlls in say the common folder in program files that various applications will access.

6. Tom772

Tom772 Guest

Nickr is there any to check to see if it is misconfigured in an unsecure way and see what users are using the NEtframework??

T

7. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Guys,

I have I believe one program that requires NetFrame, the software for my ATI video card. Should I upgrade NetFrame to version 2?

Also when I saw the version 2 of .Net Framework, Should I also get Direct X 9.0 Managed DirectX.

Thanks
    rico

8. NGRhodes

You can go into administration tools .net and also go to the .net folders (in windows folder) and check the permissions of the folders in side there. I usually cross reference with another machine or google, as not something I really look into (even though I spend all day developing .net apps !)

9. NGRhodes

There is nothing wrong with installing version 2 of the framework, but the specific software has to of been written/compiled for .net 2. So in your case there is no need unless your ATi software specifies it.
    Sorry, I have not looked at Managed DirectX yet.

10. StevieO

StevieO Guest

This might provide some food for thought.

What are the 'Real World' security advantages of the .Net Framework and the JVM?

The reason I am asking this question is because the way the .Net Framework and the JVM are used in the real world, I don't see any major advantages between them and C++, ASP Classic, PHP, ...(put your favorite language/development platform here)..., etc...

The bottom line, is that in the 'Real Word', most .Net Applications execute with Full Trust and most Java based applications run with the Security Manager disabled. This means that the protections and security advantages provided by the Virtual Machine's Sandboxes (CLR and JVM) are close to useless since malicious code executed in those process can easily bypassed it.

The reality is that 'Real World' .Net and Java applications are insecure by design, insecure by default and insecure in deployment, because their entire security model is based on the fact that no malicious code will be executed in its environment.

etc etc

https://www.threatsandcountermeasures.com/blogs/diniscruz/archive/2005/11/02/649.aspx

StevieO

11. StevieO

StevieO Guest

This might provide some food for thought !

What are the 'Real World' security advantages of the .Net Framework and the JVM?

The reason I am asking this question is because the way the .Net Framework and the JVM are used in the real world, I don't see any major advantages between them and C++, ASP Classic, PHP, ...(put your favorite language/development platform here)..., etc...

The bottom line, is that in the 'Real Word', most .Net Applications execute with Full Trust and most Java based applications run with the Security Manager disabled. This means that the protections and security advantages provided by the Virtual Machine's Sandboxes (CLR and JVM) are close to useless since malicious code executed in those process can easily bypassed it.

The reality is that 'Real World' .Net and Java applications are insecure by design, insecure by default and insecure in deployment, because their entire security model is based on the fact that no malicious code will be executed in its environment.

etc etc

https://www.threatsandcountermeasures.com/blogs/diniscruz/archive/2005/11/02/649.aspx

StevieO

12. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Nico, ATI supplies versions without the need for .Net Framework. Just use the Control Panel version. They even have an uninstaller as you can see here:https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&folderID=27.:)

13. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Don & Nick, Thanks for the info!

I installed MS Framework for the ATI Catalyst driver along time ago. I think I'll just leave it alone.

Thanks Again
    rico

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.