how to stop DNS leaks from chrome using TOR

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by vini14, May 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vini14

vini14 Registered Member

hi

i access only one website with chrome & TOR - logmein. I do not want to use the tor bundle browser because it has so many restrictions that nothing works with logmein. i had to disable half the functions and it still wouldnt work right. personally i am very confident in logmein and trust them enough to have all their scripts etc running.

what i do not want is DNS leakage though. on ip-score.com, TOR+chrome leak the DNS. the tor bundle browser does not.

anyone has any information or resources for how to configure chrome to avoid DNS leaks when using TOR?

2. phkhgh

phkhgh Registered Member

Don't use Chrome. Use the suggested, specially modified Firefox to Tor - in the Tor Browser Bundle (TBB). Tor project doesn't try to modify or help "secure" other browsers. Mostly because FF is open source & Tor Project devs can see how it works & easily make needed changes to meet needs of Tor / Tor network.

It's hard enough maintaining anonymity even when using TBB, much less trying to use Tor & other browsers. It's just not recommended by anyone knowledgeable about Tor & anonymity, AFAIK. Besides, there are other things (like addons) for anonymity in the TBB that aren't avail. for other browsers.

You can sign up for the tor-talk list to ask questions & read a lot of useful posts (like yours) w/ answers from very experienced users & many of the Tor devs. https://lists.torproject.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/tor-talk/

3. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

Chrome is open-source as well. The problem is that many of these privacy developers do not support it. Tor and HTTPSEverywhere are both firefox only unfortunately.

But, yeah, Tor should only be used with the Tor Browser Bundle. If you're tring it with Chrome, you're doing it wrong.

4. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

HTTPS-Everywhere is for Chrome as well and they work with the TOR-Project developers and TOR devs are working to get Chrome up to speed.

Despite this it's still best to use TOR with the browser bundle. It's built for this specifically.

5. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I've never tried chrome with Tor, I tried using Opera it didn,t workout. I use Firefox with Tor. Firefox seems designed to use Tor. Tor button works better with Firefox. I don't use the browser bundle, I just started using Tor with Firefox.

Last edited: May 29, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.