How to stop Comodo FW 10 from placing a shortcut on desktop?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by imdb, Apr 8, 2017.

1. imdb

imdb Registered Member

Howdy folks
    Comodo FW 10 keeps placing a shortcut on my desktop.How do i stop that?
    Tia

2. imuade

imuade Registered Member

you have to wait for the next release

3. imuade

imuade Registered Member

it's pretty clear that comodo is pushing on ccav rather than on cis.
    they have just released a new version after more than 3 months for compatibility with win10 cu, but it seems that it's not fully compatible and it comes with a lot of other bugs.
    that's why i have switched to ccav with tinywall

4. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

I'm not to happy about that either! It's in the SysTray, it's in the Start Menu, I don't need it also on the desktop. I should be-able to personalize my desktop to however I like, and CPF shortcut should remain deleted. :mad:

5. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

I guess this is a bug on windows 10 only?

6. Phant0m

Comodo bug yes. Uncertain if it's specific to Windows 10.

However, Comodo keeps re-creating the shortcut. The latest hotfix package that was released yesterday, still with the issue.

7. ellison64

I use it on windows 7 and the shortcuts not recreated.Is there some sort of desktop protection on windows 10?.If not must be a bug.

8. CHEFKOCH

CHEFKOCH Registered Member

Same here, just wait till it gets fixed.

9. aigle

aigle Registered Member

In the mean time I just made the short cut hidden via right click > properties.
    No big deal.

10. Phant0m

To the average, It's no big deal.

I'm with hidden items checked in Windows. What this means is, making that Comodo shortcut hidden is a futile attempt. However at least It adds transparency so It's not so bold and eye-catching.

The big deal about it is the principle of this. I should be-able to customize my desktop to however I prefer to have it. I already have more than enough desktop shortcuts. They exists because I prefer them to, and now have to see this fixed Comodo desktop shortcut, real aggressive bold move on Comodos part. Almost like a promotional move than anything else.

If I delete the Comodo desktop shortcut, it shortly becomes recreated. If I move the Comodo shortcut into a folder, the shortcut shortly gets recreated back onto the main desktop again.

Comodo can be accessed via systray, and I have always accessed it this way. Comodo shortcut is also found in the Start Menu.

11. ellison64

Further to my post 7 ,Ive just noticed that on my windows 7 ,the shortcut does indeed get recreated when deleted ,under 2 conditions.
    1.if gui is opened and i change from basic to advanced or vice versa ,the shortcut magically appears.Clicking/unclicking advanced view from system tray icon also creates desktop shortcut
    2.If settings is opened in gui and OK is clicked the shortcut also appears.If you just exit or cancel then it doesn't reappear
    I havent been able to recreate the shortcut clicking anything else in the gui.
    Not much help ,but some might find it interesting :isay:

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
  12. Infected

Infected Registered Member

W7 and it every time i make a change it places a shortcut..

13. Infected

Infected Registered Member

And sandbox is now called containment..

14. dakkarino

dakkarino Registered Member

Confirmed the same behavious in Windows 7 Ultimate 64: the shortcut is created everytime you modify the options and/or click OK. The shortcut was not created when exited the option by directly closing the dialog. With the newest update nothing has changed yet. I have the feeling the shortcut is being created even in different situations but I am not sure yet.

15. khanyash

khanyash Registered Member

I use ExpressVPN ondemand. When I connect ExpressVPN then too shortcut is created........

16. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

Yes, last version is widely bugged. I came back to previous version, 10.00.6092, that works.

17. l_a_l_a

l_a_l_a Registered Member

Right click, properties and just change attributes, of shortcut, to hidden.

18. dakkarino

Hiding a problem does not make it disappear.

19. CHEFKOCH

I haven't checked the Comodo forums for a while, are they even aware of this? This isn't really an Comodo problem it's due MS changes and affects not only their products. So someone should open a ticket and report this so that we get an update to resolve this.

20. dakkarino

They are well aware of the problem:

https://forums.comodo.com/bug-repor...-t118737.0.html;msg854627;topicseen#msg854627

Unfortunately, they still have to fix it.

21. Phant0m

@l_a_l_a: Already have been suggested here. It is also futile for everyone who has hidden items shown.

@CHEFKOCH: Has nothing to-do with Windows 10, nothing to-do with Microsoft changes to any Windows. It has to-do with Comodo product update and a Comodo product poorly thought-out defense, which they'll refer to it as a bug.

22. CHEFKOCH

I'm not sure about that this isn't a windows issue because after latest patchday several application acting the same, and someone else here also confirmed this.

To be honest I haven't done any effort to figure this out, since this is not that important (in my eyes). But of course you could be right .. :doubt:

23. lboucher

lboucher Registered Member

Yeah ! :cool:

Comodo Firewall 10.0.1.6223

https://forums.comodo.com/news-anno...et-security-v10016223-released-t119194.0.html

1 - Comodo Security Agent could not be started
    2 - Comodo Application shortcuts could not be deleted, renamed or moved.
    3 - IP4 and IP6 entry names could be distorted.
    4 - Some of Windows XP PCs could not download updates.
    5 - Cygwin fails at post-install scripts and apps like Dash, Bash become unresponsive / consume abnormal CPU usage.
    6 - In Containment settings, checkbox 'Do not show privilege elevation alert' was selected after clean install, it should have been de-selected by default.
    7 - Some users reported that Windows firewall was disabled even though they installed Comodo Antivirus rather Comodo Firewall
    8 - File Lookup Service(FLS) could fail in some cases.
    9 - Trusted vendor list could see reduced list of entries for CIS versions older than v10 in last major update.

24. CHEFKOCH

25. imdb

imdb Registered Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.