how to set FDISR to freeze

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Chris12923, Oct 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

2. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

It's on my Actions Menu....Raxco version, sadly I can't manage to show a screen as every time I touch another button on my computer the menu disappears. :D
    I have

Freeze
    Unfreeze
    Freeze Previous

between Boot to snapshot and Enable pre-boot

3. Chris12923

I'm using HDS version and I don't see it there. Strange.. Do I have to highlight something before it shows or is it there all the time?

Thanks,

Chris

4. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Yes, Freeze, Unfreeze and Previous Freeze are always visible under Actions. Sometimes one or two are greyed out, because you can't use them in certain situations, but they are always visible, at least under WinXPproSP2 and I also use FDISR v3.21 build 205.

5. Chris12923

Anyone using Vista and seeing the menu items?

Thanks,

Chris

6. tradetime

Forgot to say, I'm with XP as well am afraid

7. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Hi Chris, thats strange indeed. Raxco version here and working fine with xp & vista.

vista...

Attached Files:

8. tradetime

yeah that's what I have

9. Chris12923

Strange... O well I will contact HDS and see what they say. Maybe I will reinstall first. Thanks guys.

Thanks,

Chris

10. Chris12923

HDS and Leapfrog have decided to discontinue freeze in the latest version of FDISR because of resource usage. It uses 3 times the amount of space and there are other programs that do it with less resource usage.

Thanks,

Chris

11. Atomas31

Atomas31 Registered Member

I just checked (windows XP) and I have the same menu than Meriadoc screenshot (FD-ISR from Raxco)... Does that mean that the Raxco version of FD-ISR ain't the same than the HDS FD-ISR version?

Thanks,
    Atomas31

12. Chris12923

Well I'm not sure. It sounds like it though. But since Raxco no longer resells FDISR it doesn't really nmatter?

Thanks,

Chris

13. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

This is why it'd be nice to hear from Leapfrog, particularly on THEIR site, what the changes are meant to be. As yet, they are STILL showing v.202 on their site.

Cue Todd?

14. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Not quite true, since Raxco is providing update support to it's users. I got 205 from them and it has the freeze option. However I won't miss it but I can hear Erik groaning.:D

15. Chris12923

Sorry peter I mean after updates run out for Raxco they will not be reselling it so any new users will not have the option from what I can tell.

Thanks,

Chris

16. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

HDS have a Knowledge Base article regarding the omission of the Freeze option:

17. Chris12923

Thanks Tony I wish I would have seen it sooner.

Thanks,

Chris

18. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

The question remains if Leapfrog believe the Freeze option to be heavy on resources, why is it available in the .205 build that Raxco are providing?

19. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

It almost sounds like HDS doesn't want a competing function in their version of FDISR. The reason needs clarification as if that's the case, I'd send people to the other two resellers.

20. tradetime

Very interesting in todays world of Mega GB drives, that they would be so concerned about a little space, and then advocate running another program, more processes to achieve the same result, think I'd be more interested in my RAM resources than my disk space.
    It is quite conceivable that purchasers would learn about FD-ISR on the leapfrog site, and then simply purchase from the reseller not thinking that the reseller had made alterations to the program, in theory this would give a reasonable case for refund if freeze option was important. At the very least it has to be worth a discount.

21. Atomas31

I agree with that! If that's the case that means that the HDS version of FD-ISR will only have new functionnality that the other HDS progams don't haveo_O So can we expect a lot less new functionnality/developpement for the HDS FD-ISR than what it should be? If that's the case, it s*cks :mad:

Thanks,
    Atomas31

22. Chris12923

I think this would be a mistake as well if they do not have it and others do. Gimme a little bit to get more info from HDS.

Thanks,

Chris

23. Atomas31

No problem Chris since I have the Raxco version of FD-ISR :D but it is certainly unfair for those who have bought there FD-ISR from HDS...

Also, if that's the case when Raxco will cease to offer update/upgrade to there actual user of FD-ISR, you can bet that I won't buy new upgrade version of FD-ISR from HDS but from one other distributor of FD-ISR!

Thanks,
    Atomas31

24. Chris12923

I really have faith that HDS will consider adding it back. They have always been great when it comes to requests and suggestions. Actually they are one of the best companies I have dealt with. I'll let you know when I hear something.

Thanks,

Chris

25. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

What the hell is this !!!
    HDS took my MAIN protection away because of some stupid reasons and Leapfrog agreed with this o_O

1. If Freeze is extremely heavy on the system resources. So what ? Let the USER decide to use it or not.
    The resource and 3 x space isn't used, when the USER doesn't use a frozen snapshot.

2. It is rarely used by the Customer base. So what ? Rarely used or not is NEVER a reason to ditch a function.
    I don't use so many functions in other softwares, that is not a reason to ditch a function, because there are always users in the world, who NEED those functions.

3. Rollback Rx or Drive Vaccine Rx a good alternative ? They must be kidding. I don't want these softwares on my computer.

I don't agree with this at all. These are the most ridiculous reasons, I've ever seen to ditch a function. :rolleyes:

If the freeze function disappears, I have to freeze my on-line snapshot with Returnil or DeepFreeze. That means I will lose the function "Boot to Snapshot" as well, if I keep my on-line snapshot frozen.

I can't use "Schedules" either to make a copy/update from archive to snapshot more convenient, because there are no on demand schedules. And the freeze function did this copy/update AUTOMATICALLY during reboot and that was very convenient, because I couldn't forget to restore my on-line snapshot.

FDISR is going down, instead of going up and its development was already frozen, since I bought it.

I'm not happy with this at all, high time for me to look for another solution. I'm already testing DeepFreeze and Returnil. :'(
    If they think, I'm a devoted fan of FDISR, forget it. I ditch FDISR without hesitation, if I find a better alternative than this crippled FDISR.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.