How to see remote shared folder but hide my shares to other users ?

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by mattad, May 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mattad

mattad Registered Member

I have an inhouse-WLAN resp. LAN within the IP range 192.168.0.*.
    All computer in this LAN should see remote shared folders
    on other computers. It works fine so far with the current NetBIOS rules I set up for LnS (see attached Snapshot below).

When I go now to one of the internet/WLAN cafes/university I am in an untrusted environment. Lets assume now the DHCP server of this cafe/bistro/university assigns me a dynamic IP 192.168.0.35 (or other).

As far as I know LnS does not detect that my notebook is now in an unsecure other, new LAN. LnS reveals all my shared folders to other users in this cafe shop.

How can I prevent this (of cause without deleting the rules) ?

In other words: How can I tell LnS "In my own LAN show all local shared folders and in public LANs hide them" ?

However it should always be possible to access shared remote folders on other computers. So hiding should be active only inbounds

Attached Files:

2. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

For the 3 rules you have added, you can try to specify the MAC address of the router you are connected to at home.
    With WiFi, I'm not sure if the MAC address is relevant or not, but anyway you can have a look at it, to check it is always the same at home, and to check it is different when you are not at home.

Frederic

3. bytebrand

bytebrand Registered Member

I can see that this would allow the Router to connect to my Shares. But to allow other PCs.. shouldnt I specify their MAC Adresses ? Is it even possible to specify multiple MACs for the remote side?

4. Frederic

Frederic LnS Developer

No, when using a router everything pass through it and the PC uses the MAC address of the router only, and never the MAC address or another PC.

So just adding the MAC address of the router in these 3 rules is sufficient, to still allow the share on your local network.

Frederic

5. bytebrand

bytebrand Registered Member

Is this also the case when you have a switch attached to the router and the PCs to the switch ?

Don't they communicate directly over the switch without passing the Router ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.