How to see multiple versions of a file?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by David07666, Oct 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David07666

David07666 Registered Member

Using TI 10:

(1) Can I see multiple versions of a file? That is, if I keep differential or incremental backups nightly, can I see different versions of the file back to the date of the baseline? Does it matter whether I do differential vs incremental backups?

(2) And if the answer to (1) is yes, is there a way to not overwrite the baseline so that on days when a new baseline is created I don't lose the history?

2. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

Yes, providing you are not using Secure Zone. Although at the point of restore you get to choose which one you want to restore whether the file is in SZ or on a regular partition.

No, except that a differential set is always made up of two files, the base image and one differential; an incremental is made up of the base image and as many incrementals as you want. Note that each has its own advantage depending on what you want to achieve.

Yes, here are three options:

- Use ATI 10, which apparently has this built in (I have not used ATI 10), or
    - See this post https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=846178&postcount=4 , or
    - use the secure zone to do this automatically

F.

3. David07666

Not that I can find

4. shieber

shieber Registered Member

If you don't want to keep all the backup files, you should still be able to see what files you've made by viewing the log, even in an old version of ATI.

5. David07666

But I want the multiple versions, at least a week's worth. I don't think TI has an automated solution for this, you have to do what foghorne suggests

6. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello David,

I don't use TI 10 either but does the new Acronis Backup Location feature (see Chapter 3.5 of the TI 10.0 User's Guide) provide what you want? If so, you need to be aware of a possible "gotcha" when selecting the Backup Location that's detailed in <this previous thread>.

Regards

7. David07666

I'm still trying to figure that out -- their doc isn't the best (but whose is, nowadays)

8. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello David07666,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please note that as foghorne said if you created full backup archive and several differential/incremental backup archives you will be able to select one of backups by its creation date/time during the restoration. Thus, you can roll back the system to a certain date (check the screen shot). Note that as foghorne mentioned differential and incremental backups are different. I would recommend that you have a look at this article explaining the difference between differential and incremental backup archive.
    Please note that as Menorcaman said using Backup Location in conjunction with scheduled tasks you can accomplish this task. For example, you can create Backup Location with needed quotas and organize Backup Policy to create a new full backup after X incremental/differential backup archives. Please note that Backup Policies are available when you schedule a backup task to create image archive to backup locations only. I would recommend that you have a look at this thread for more details.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

9. haudegen

haudegen Registered Member

Sorry, but that is in my case NOT true.o_O

A roll back to a certain date is not possible.

I get almost the latest files from a set of incremental backups. When I open the Backup archives with the Windows explorer I see the right content of the different backup set points. But not, if I restore the selected archive! What is the reason for such a behaviour?
    Please Help me.
    I am at the end with my cleverness.
    Any suggestions will be helpful.

haudegen

10. foghorne

Can you post a screen shot (or two) to explain what you are experiencing ?

F.

11. haudegen

Current Attachments (155.9 KB)
    screen_new.jpg

Hi,

there is the screenshot of my problem.

best regards
    haudegen

Attached Files:

12. haudegen

screen task.jpg

And that is the task how it is seted up.

Attached Files:

13. foghorne

Hi haudegen

I still can't quite see what your problem is.

In File explorer what happens if you right click on an incremental (not the base full image) and select restore. Do you get the option to restore an incremental image then ?

F.

14. haudegen

Hi foghorne,

Thanks for that grate advice.:D
    I have never tried to do a restore with the right mouse click.
    That works grate. I’m happy and the world is round and not a disk.

I always start Acronis 10.0 and do a restore from that main menu (see the image)
    That was the point witch let me run in the described problem. I think that approach shod also work correct, or is there a mistake in my understanding of things.

Attached Files:

15. foghorne

I am pleased you have a workaround. However, you should also be able to do a restore on an incremental from the ATI task window as shown in your image. When you select restore all the files should be available to browse and select. If they are not I think there is either a problem in the way you are using ATI, or you have uncovered a bug.

Perhaps someone who is using ATI 10 (I am using v9) can comment and take this a bit further?

F.

16. haudegen

Hi foghorne,

yes, you are right, in ATI, I see all the possible archives, they are also selectable, also they have the appropriate time and date, but regardless of what I select to restore, I always get the content of the last archive!
    So, as long as there is nobody how could explain me that behavior, for mi, that is a BUG in Acronis True Inage 10.0!:'(

Thanks for your help.
    Let’s wait what the Support is saying. This could take some time, I guess. :mad:

17. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello David07666, haudegen and everyone,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

Please note that the behavior of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home you have described is known and we have already received similar requests from other Acronis customers and they have already been forwarded to our Development Team. It will be fixed in one of the next builds of Acronis True Image 10.0 Home. We are really sorry for the inconvenience.

Please also note that this issue is related to file-based backup archives stored in Backup Location. Restoration of disk/partition images stored in Backup Location does not behave this way.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

18. Werni

Werni Registered Member

Hello Aleksandr
    Can you please explain us how exactly the situation is in V. 10.0 Acronis Secure Zone (Rollback of Files/Folders, Images) from images or file/folder backups?? It would be useful if we knew whtat we can do and what not!
    Thank you very much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.