how to scan files using an external application?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by leBeatnik, May 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leBeatnik

leBeatnik Registered Member

I like to scan files as I download them with various programs, I do this with my browser, my Usenet client, and my download manager. I am wondering why in v2 I was able simply to enter into the program the nod32 execution path and ad a few parameters and it was done with not to mention with a good looking GUI.

Now with v3 I am unable to do the same. I am able to do it thanks to a previous thread but I have to use a batch file that opened a dos window and scans in dos and I have to add commands to the batch to make it even show me if there is a problem or not or else it will close without showing me first. I would like to use the same GUI it gives me when I scan a single file using the context menu. (right click) A nice GUI with progress bar and results in the end just like in v2.

I have yet to update as I don't feel like changing anything until this changes. I am currently running v3.0.621 and use these parameters, which was recommended to me before, using the elcs.exe in my batch file.

Code:
    /base-dir="C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus" /log-all /aind /no-boots /adware /sfx /unsafe /unwanted /heur /adv-heur /action=clean %1
    If anyone can help me do this I would appreciate it so much my goal is to get it working possibly with a GUI if a newer version has fixed this I will upgrade and either way I would need instructions. At the worst this is working but not ideal. If its the best I can get can anyone that knows the commands well look at my script and tell me if I should add or remove anything. I want a very complete scan and since this is for downloads I know I have it set to scan archives as almost half of my downloads are. As far as that goes I just don't know what the advanced commands are and what they do. So Again TIA and I know there are lots of very knowledgeable people here and if it can be done I know someone here knows.
    Thank You

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Hello!

First of all , you should upgrade to the very latest version 3.0.657 , which includes some changes and improvements over 3.0.621 version
    Download the right installer from www.eset.com/download

Install over the top of the current version and reboot.

Second , it is possible to enter the scan parameters and load scanning of files but I can assure you it is really not necessary . ESET Antivirus has real-time monitoring which automatically will scan the files you download , use , try to access , open , etc. If the real-time monitoring is active it will not allow a threat activate on your computer. Scanning it once on-demand and then with automatic protection will be just time consuming , not a specific advantage or extra protection . You can try with these two harmless files (Eicar and Trojan Simulator)

http://www.eicar.org/download/eicar.com
    https://secure.eicar.org/eicar.com
    http://www.misec.net/products/TrojanSimulator.zip

If you still insist on entering commands and performing additional scan , with v3 it will be the command line scanner , separate application of the program , which can perform them . You should enter the following commands

Code:
    "C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\ecls.exe" /adv-heur /adware /arch /auto /files /mail /no-log-all /pattern /quarantine /rtp /sfx /subdir /unsafe /unwanted
    The application is
    C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\ecls.exe

Program files is variable . You may have installed the program elsewhere

Regards :thumb:

3. leBeatnik

leBeatnik Registered Member

Yeah the file name was a typo. I guess your right I do have the real time protection enabled so it would scan the instant I download it anyway. I looked at the tutorial on another post that showed the same code you provided. I changes a few settings according to the tutorial but most of my settings were already good and I tweaked it for my own uses.

Thank you for your quick response, see this board is full of knowledgeable people. I never thought about it as this is how I've been doing it for a while but its actually not needed and wastes time :doubt: as after I scan it the program scans it again as it is a new file. So I think I will quit the batch file as its just one more thing to do every time I download. :thumb:

I don't want to upgrade right now as I have been reading threads about the new ver conflicting with certain programs I have and this build suits me fine. I figure I will upgrade once a more stable release is out right now I have no real issues so I don't want to create any.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.