how to scan files using an external application?

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by leBeatnik, May 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leBeatnik

leBeatnik Registered Member

I like to scan files as I download them with various programs, I do this with my browser, my Usenet client, and my download manager. I am wondering why in v2 I was able simply to enter into the program the nod32 execution path and ad a few parameters and it was done with not to mention with a good looking GUI.

Now with v3 I am unable to do the same. I am able to do it thanks to a previous thread but I have to use a batch file that opened a dos window and scans in dos and I have to add commands to the batch to make it even show me if there is a problem or not or else it will close without showing me first. I would like to use the same GUI it gives me when I scan a single file using the context menu. (right click) A nice GUI with progress bar and results in the end just like in v2.

I have yet to update as I don't feel like changing anything until this changes. I am currently running v3.0.621 and use these parameters, which was recommended to me before, using the elcs.exe in my batch file.

Code:
    /base-dir="C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus" /log-all /aind /no-boots /adware /sfx /unsafe /unwanted /heur /adv-heur /action=clean %1
    If anyone can help me do this I would appreciate it so much my goal is to get it working possibly with a GUI if a newer version has fixed this I will upgrade and either way I would need instructions. At the worst this is working but not ideal. If its the best I can get can anyone that knows the commands well look at my script and tell me if I should add or remove anything. I want a very complete scan and since this is for downloads I know I have it set to scan archives as almost half of my downloads are. As far as that goes I just don't know what the advanced commands are and what they do. So Again TIA and I know there are lots of very knowledgeable people here and if it can be done I know someone here knows.
    Thank You

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Hello!

First of all , you should upgrade to the very latest version 3.0.657 , which includes some changes and improvements over 3.0.621 version
    Download the right installer from www.eset.com/download

Install over the top of the current version and reboot.

Second , it is possible to enter the scan parameters and load scanning of files but I can assure you it is really not necessary . ESET Antivirus has real-time monitoring which automatically will scan the files you download , use , try to access , open , etc. If the real-time monitoring is active it will not allow a threat activate on your computer. Scanning it once on-demand and then with automatic protection will be just time consuming , not a specific advantage or extra protection . You can try with these two harmless files (Eicar and Trojan Simulator)

http://www.eicar.org/download/eicar.com
    https://secure.eicar.org/eicar.com
    http://www.misec.net/products/TrojanSimulator.zip

If you still insist on entering commands and performing additional scan , with v3 it will be the command line scanner , separate application of the program , which can perform them . You should enter the following commands

Code:
    "C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\ecls.exe" /adv-heur /adware /arch /auto /files /mail /no-log-all /pattern /quarantine /rtp /sfx /subdir /unsafe /unwanted
    The application is
    C:\Program Files\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus\ecls.exe

Program files is variable . You may have installed the program elsewhere

Regards :thumb:

3. leBeatnik

leBeatnik Registered Member

Yeah the file name was a typo. I guess your right I do have the real time protection enabled so it would scan the instant I download it anyway. I looked at the tutorial on another post that showed the same code you provided. I changes a few settings according to the tutorial but most of my settings were already good and I tweaked it for my own uses.

Thank you for your quick response, see this board is full of knowledgeable people. I never thought about it as this is how I've been doing it for a while but its actually not needed and wastes time :doubt: as after I scan it the program scans it again as it is a new file. So I think I will quit the batch file as its just one more thing to do every time I download. :thumb:

I don't want to upgrade right now as I have been reading threads about the new ver conflicting with certain programs I have and this build suits me fine. I figure I will upgrade once a more stable release is out right now I have no real issues so I don't want to create any.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.