How To Rip A DVD (Linux)

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by mack_guy911, Sep 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

2. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

If we're talking DVD movies then MakeMKV is a great resource if it's encrypted. It reminds me to a degree of another tool I used way back called RipIt4Me. I then would follow up with Devede, if need be, to finish the project.

Later...

3. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

You can of course do it all with VLC. https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1908719&postcount=4

I also like Handbrake. Sometimes I find that the ripped m4v (mp4) will not be accepted by DeVeDe. When that happens I use Avidemux and change audio to mp3 as it is usually a sound issue. Then no problems with making an .iso with DeVeDe.
    Those are the three tools I use and I am happy with them.

4. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

5. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

I second that on VLC, excellenet tool to rip and more.

6. Trespasser

My wife wanted me to make a copy of a Tai Chi dvd she ordered from Amazon, but, to my surprise, this thing had encryption on it. I tried MakeMKV but it didn't include the menus. I tried DVDrip...not what I was looking for. I even tried VLC to copy it but failed. I eventually tried K9Copy and it did great. Exactly what I was looking for. It decrypted the DVD and made an iso. The down side was its size (a 200 mbs download). But, there is a lite version of it called backlite. It even has a ppa....

https://launchpad.net/~ferramroberto/ archive/k9copy

The good news, it's only a 50mb download (which includes its dependencies). It works very well.

Later....

7. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Over the weekend I landed up with a region 1 DVD from our local library. So, I could either pay Trespasser a visit and watch it in his TV room, or I could use Handbrake or VLC to ignore the code and play it right here in region 2 :D
    After a careful calculation of the travel costs including a small token of appreciation for being a burden on the Trespasser household, I decided to rip it here. :)

8. Trespasser

Aw shucks! And I was so looking forward to you and the misses visiting. :D . Seriously though, changing a DVD from one region to another was a real pain. I finally had to re-image my Desktop with Windows 7 and use ConverXtoDVD to accomplish this task.

Later...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.