How to restore image to xen HVM instance?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by splice, Mar 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. splice

splice Registered Member

Hi, not sure if anyone has any tips for me, but any hints would be greatly appreciated!

I'm trying to restore my Windows XP machine from it 'real' hardware into a virtual Xen instance on a new machine. As I understand it, I'm supposed to be able to do this with with True Image workstation with the universal restore option. Iv'e tried several approaches using that software (v9.1 build 3887). Here's what I've tried:

1. Creating the 'Full Version with Universal Restore' Bootable rescue media, creating a xen instance for it and trying to boot it. No love. It hangs at 'Starting Acronis Loader..'

2. I've installed Acronis on a currenly running xen instance of XP and tried doing a restore, all looks good until the reboot...

3. I've tried booting the base machine using the rescue media, and after having to disable core multiplexing (I'm using an intel core2 duo) I got Acronis to boot. I've gotten to the point where I can restore, but don't have the option to specify additional drivers...

I'm not sure if what I'm trying to do is *actually* possible, perhaps I put too much weight in the marketing speak around Acronis and virtualization?

Thanks!

~Jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.