How to restore a back up image using Paragon

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by gelbs, Aug 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gelbs

gelbs Registered Member

My primary hard drive failed and had to be replaced. When I used the Paragon rescue disk my computer booted up but there is no option to restore. There is no restore wizard listed. So my question is how do I restore my back up which is on my secondary drive. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

2. cincinnatijack

cincinnatijack Registered Member

The Paragon rescue disk will not restore a backup image of a drive , it is only for fixing boot problems with Boot Corrector, undeleting accidentally deleted partitions and retrieving information from disks when system fails to boot and saving it to another hard disk/partition or CD/DVD.

To recover a backup image to new hard drive you need to use the recovery disk that was made when you first started using the backup program.

3. wptski

wptski Registered Member

I believe that rescue or recovery disc are one in the same here. There's a Linux disc that you create from the program that may/maynot work on your PC. A purchased version of a Paragon product comes with a downloadable WinPE based rescue/recovery disc ISO file.

4. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Unfortunately it isn't clear just what is being used. I know with Acronis True Image the terms rescue disk, recovery disk, bootable CD, restore disk, etc get used, all meaning the CD created from the program to do a restore.

I wasn't even aware until a couple of days ago that such a thing as the Paragon Rescue Kit existed and its existence certainly clouds the terminology issue.

So gelbs needs to provide some additional info.

5. gelbs

gelbs Registered Member

I'm using Paragon Back Up. I didn't make a restore disk but I'm using what I believe Paragon calls a rescue disk. However while booting up my computer there is no option to restore my computer using a created back up. So while I found the back up on my "F" drive I cannot install it.

6. cincinnatijack

You may have the Rescue Kit 11 Free Edition CD, you need to make a recovery CD using the Paragon backup program.

The CD will have the restore function on it as one of the main selection.

7. wptski

wptski Registered Member

IIRC, the Paragon created Linux disc opens to a section screen with options like, Normal, Safe Mode, etc. Is that what your seeing? If so, you have to pick an one of the options first before being able to restore. I really can't remember that exact procedure as my system hung right there.

8. seekforever

Since I couldn't remember the process and screens exactly, I booted up my Paragon B&R 2011 Free recovery CD made with the program.

First screen says (may not be exact):

Normal Mode
    Safe Mode
    Low Graphics Floppy
    Hard Drive 0 MBR
    Find OSes on your hard drive

Normally you would Select Normal Mode. I don't know what the difference is with Safe Mode in Paragon. Some other programs it means some special non-Linux mode without as much device support that may run if the Linux doesn't.

A screen will appear with Paragon Backup & Recovery 2011 in big letters and there will be a delay as more data is loaded from the CD.

Screen will appear listing (may not be exact):

Paragon Backup and Recovery
    Simple Restore Wizard
    File Transfer Wizard
    Network
    -
    -
    -
    Power Off

If you wish, you can select the Paragon Backup & Recovery and get the Linux-based "full version" which will have the various wizards available or you can just click on the Simple Restore Wizard. I selected the Simple Restore Wizard which then searches for archives, asks you what you want to restore etc.

Hope this clears it up.

9. cincinnatijack

Checking my Paragon Rescue Kit 11 Free Edition CD, after booting:

First screen says:

Normal Mode
    Safe Mode
    Low Graphics Floppy
    Hard Drive 0 MBR
    Find OSes on your hard drive

After selecting the Normal Mode the screen selection is:

File Transfer Wizard
    Boot corrector
    Undelete Partition
    Log Saver
    Eject CD/DVD
    Reboot the Computer
    Power Off

Now you have the screen displays of Paragon B&R 2011 Free recovery CD and Paragon Rescue Kit 11 Free Edition CD, with one you can restore a backup and the other you can not.

10. seekforever

That really should clear it up! :)

11. gelbs

gelbs Registered Member

First I want to thank everyone for their assistance.

That being said I'm still having problems restoring.As stated before I has 2 drive a C: anf F:. C: contained windows and is now unusable . F: has my back up on it.

I load Paragon Back up to a working lap top but when I look at the program options there is no option to create a recovery disk. I now know the rescue disk which does boots my computer will not work to restore the back up file

How do you create a recovery disk. I don't see it in the manual and for this program to work there's got to be a way to have a disk that boots the machine and lets you restore the back up image.

Again any help is greatly appreciated.

12. gelbs

gelbs Registered Member

I found the media recovery builder. Now I hope this works . Thanks again

13. wptski

wptski Registered Member

Click on Tools>Recovery Media Builder. This created disc may/maynot work on your system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.