How to Resize Windows XP Partitions

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by palerider, Jun 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. palerider

palerider Registered Member

I have an XP system with SP3 and 3 partitions (all NTFS) a small recovery partition (4.657 GB); a 15.01 GB active partition with the operating system, progrm files, and data; a 92.12 GB logical partition with data only. There's about 85GB of free space on the D: drive. I'm out of free space on C: so I want to do is resize C: and D: to around 55GB each. I think I understand how to do this but I thought I'd get some feedback before I try it. Here's what I plan to do.

Prep Work:

1. Run chkdsk /f /r on both drives to find and fix any disk errors, bad sectors, etc.
    2. Defrag both drives.
    3. Make an image back up of each drive with TrueImage 11.

From what I've read here, it seems the recommended approach is to do one action at a time rather than multiple actions in one step. In other words, reduce the size of D: first, reboot, and then increase C:.

Resize Partitions:

1. Boot from Disk Director 10 CD.
    2. Decrease size of D: to create unallocated space between C: and D: by grabbing left side of D: and sliding it to the right.
    3. Commit changes and reboot.
    4. Increase the size of C: by grabbing right side of C: and sliding it right to fill space between C: and D:.
    5. Commit changes and reboot.
    6. When I get done I should have two 55GB partitions.

A couple of other questions. Should I do this in Automatic or Manual Mode? Since I'm running DD from the CD, do I even need to install it on the hard drive? Do I need the OSS Selector and Bootwiz since I only use XP? Anything else I need to consider?

Thanks.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2008
  2. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

Welcome to the forum.

You have described the best way to accomplish your repartitioning task - you should be giving advice to newcomers here instead of being one yourself!

To answer your questions, you should select "Manual" mode when the CD boots, and no, you don't need to install DD on the hard drive and you don't need OS selector. The only reasons for installing are if you want to run the program in Windows or if you want to use the Bootable Media Builder application to create new boot CDs as newer versions of DD are released. Build 2160 is the latest, so if that's the version on your purchased CD then you are good to go (check Help About when you boot from the CD).

When doing your step 3 there may be a lot of data to move so expect this step to take a little time to complete. Step 5 should happen almost instantly since no data relocation will take place.

This should work fine. Post back if you have any problems.

3. jonyjoe81

jonyjoe81 Registered Member

If I were you, I wouild just go into your "C:\program files", and move those extra large program folders to your data hard drive, and just make new shortcuts to the exe files. Programs will still work.

Your c: partition at 15gb is a decent size, it can be backed up and restored quickly. If you turned it into a 55gb monster, it'll take longer to backup and restored.

My c: partition is 20gb but I never load large programs on it, all games get installed straight to the data partition. My c: partition never has more than 8gb of use space. Only the important programs that are indespensible get loaded on my c: partition.

If you do resize you partitions, just make sure that your first partition is an active primary partition, otherwise you might end up with an extra 7.8mb partition in the beginning of the hard drive.

4. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

Not all programs will work if you do this. Some will; ones that keep track of their installed location in the registry won't. You would need to reinstall those.

That's a point worth considering.

It is. See post #1.

5. palerider

palerider Registered Member

Mark,

Thank you for your quick response and very clear answers to my questions. I really appreciate it. I'm a pretty savvy PC/Windows guy, but I always like to hear from the experts and get a second opinion about a new piece of software.

jonyjoe,

Thanks for your feedback as well. You make some excellent points. My own desktop is configured very similarly to yours. However, this PC belongs to my neighbors and they have minimal skills. They don't really get the why of a C: and D: drive. At least I talked them out of creating one giant C: drive. After reading your comments I will probably go with a 30/80 split instead of 55/55. All programs on C: and all data on D:. I think I can make that manageable for them.

Thanks again to both of you for your help.

6. ylimehajile

ylimehajile Registered Member

I have this exact same scenario only with Vista. I did exactly as described and it didn't work. I inserted 'unallocated space' between my C: and D: drives. That worked. I then proceeded to drag my C: drive over the 'unallocated space' to increase my C: drive. It rebooted after doing all the work but my C: drive is no bigger and the 'unallocated space' is still there. What should I do. I'm quickly running out of space on my C: drive.

7. K0LO

K0LO Registered Member

Try the process from the boot CD instead of doing it in Windows.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.