How to Repair VSS in XP (corrupted file)?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Birdman, Oct 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Birdman

Birdman Registered Member

Is there a way to repair VSS (Volume Shadow copy Service) in XP without reinstalling Windows?

Currently the VSS service is FAILING when trying to start. Apparently there is a corrupted VSS file that might be causing this failure.

My Windows XP OS came pre-installed in my pc and thus I do NOT have an "XP Installation CD." Although I do have a Recovery Console CD from HP.

Will this work or is there another way to repair VSS?

Any help and info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Birdman

Anyone? Please :'(

3. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

4. Birdman

Thanks for the link and your reply. Any idea which of the following commands I should run?

Code:
    Parameters
    /scannow : Scans all protected system files immediately. 

/scanonce : Scans all protected system files once. 

/scanboot : Scans all protected system files every time the computer is restarted. 

/revert : Returns the scan to its default operation. 

/purgecache : Purges the Windows File Protection file cache and scans all protected system files immediately. 

/cachesize=x : Sets the size, in MB, of the Windows File Protection file cache. 

/? : Displays help at the command prompt. 

5. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Birdman,

Run it with the scanonce option. If no joy, I'm confident I've found your fix. One request prior .... check the version number of clbcatq.dll in your system32 folder and compare it to the one from your "source" installation which should be in %systemdrive%\i386, listed as CLBCATQ.DL_. To view the version of this one create a temp folder on (I'm guessing) your "C" drive and execute the expand command from a console window like below.

expand c:\i386\CLBCATQ.DL_ c:\tmp_folder_name\clbcatq.dll (space's after expand and _).

You won't be able to check it otherwise.

GF

Last edited: Nov 1, 2006
  6. Birdman

Hi GF,

Thanks for your help.

When running the above command, I get a "Can't Open Input File: c:\i386\clbcatq.dl_."

Maybe I did something wrong? First I created a folder in my c:\ drive (called it VSS)

Then I clicked on "Start" and "Run" and typed in "cmd." Then I typed what you posted above (except changed "tmp_folder_name" to VSS).

Did I run the steps correctly?

As for the version # of the clbcatq.dll in my system32 folder (2001.12.4414.308).

Please let me know. Thanks.

7. GlobalForce

Yes, what you did was fine. I may have missed something I'll cover below.

Three question's.

Did you try scannow (result's if any)? Do you in fact have the i386 folder on C (all file's except .inf type's ending with a _)?
    Hint: Look for the file by exact (clbcatq.dl_) name using advanced search options.

~ Trying to determine your source install, and yes I know your pre-installed ~

I also recall you mentioning sp2. Are we talking *as an update?*

Try my command again but this time change directories when you open the shell by typing: cd c:\ - enter,
    then type or c/p your adjusted line.

Edit: Sorry, had to add one more item knowing our time's don't cross. :D If your comfortable venturing into the registry let me know the "data" values across from these names found at the below key location's, otherwise I have an easier safer way for you to accomplish this.

Key - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup
    Name - ServicePackSourcePath = value?
    Name - SourcePath = value?

Key - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion
    Name - SourcePath = value?

GF

Last edited: Nov 1, 2006
  8. Birdman

Yes I ran it. It scanned the Windows files and then I rebooted my system. I did not notice any message or a results notification.

Yes that i386 folder is located in the c:/ drive and ALL the files do end with a "_"

Yes I updated to sp2 from WU.

Found it....however it doesn't display the version # for that file?

*Added value above in BOLD. Thanks 4 your help. :)

9. GlobalForce

Well now, finding it in service pack file's make's sense because that folder contain's your sp2 stuff among other thing's. Without running the expand command from there it would be safe to say it's the same version. It also tell's me your filesystem ISN'T "integrated" meaning, sometime's problem's running SFC with WFP getting in the way (keep's asking for your cd which if you had one would be sp1). Whether this will have any impact on what follow's I can't say, though I think the worse that could happen would be window's complaining about something or other. Typical. :D;)

My previous check request's may not have had anything to do with COM registration as I've noticed it's setup source path is directed from the system32 folder. Just trying to be complete and keep assumption's to a minimum considering a repair install may be your final option to get it working. Onward, the "plan."

Follow direction's here (yes, XP too) - "To clean up a damaged COM+ catalog."
    I've added a few thought's in an effort to keep you on track, plus offer you a chance to gain some experience inside the recovery console.

For step 1 you won't be able to rename clbcatq.dll inside window's (replicate's itself). Boot the RC instead, select your installation,

type: cd system32 - enter,
    type: ren clbcatq.dll ~clbcatq.dll (watch your spacing),
    type "exit" to re-boot.

If a password give's you any trouble, copy the below line's to notepad, merge it (OK with or without the RC installed) back in window's, then try again.

Since you'll be required to open a shell by the time you get to 4, you might as well dump that COM3 key at the command line by typing:

reg delete hklm\software\microsoft\com3 /f (don't wait for any confirmation, the /f switch take's care of that).

~ Space's after reg, delete, and com3. Feel free to export that key if it make's you happy ~

When you reach the 9th step, open sysoc.inf by placing %systemroot%\inf\sysoc.inf into your runbox.

Here's what the line look's like: com=comsetup.dll,OcEntry,comnt5.inf,hide,7

Remove ONLY the "hide" leaving the extra comma: com=comsetup.dll,OcEntry,comnt5.inf,,7
    Make sure you then "save" the file!

Now goto add/remove, window's component's, re-install COM, then try to fire up shadow copy. I'm not sure if you'll need a re-boot.

If I knew how to corrupt my com install you can bet your bottom dollar I'd have done so to COMPLETELY proof this out (sans out-of-sync-source). If telling you I ran through the motion's give's you confidence, this might actually pan out. If the process itself isn't affected by the fact your source's aren't integrated .... I'm expecting only success!

Question's? You don't have any question's, right? :D

GF

10. Birdman

Hey GF,

I went through all the steps from the link you provided and all seemed to go well until I tried re-installing COM3 from Add/Remove Components. I got the following error message:

Code:
    http://img434.imageshack.us/my.php?image=image2jp2.jpg][IMG]http://img434.imageshack.us/img434/7238/image2jp2.th.jpg
    I clicked on OK and it asked me to reboot my system (which I did). After reboot, I tried the starting VSS service again but encountered the same issue as before. I assume that it probably has something to do with the COM+ Setup Error in the image above?

Also after reboot, I noticed that my IE7 and WMP11 icons were MISSING from the start menu. Now the ONLY checkmark I placed at the "Windows Add/Remove components" was next to COM3. I unchecked IE, Outlook, WMP and Network Services.

Did I do something wrong here? Thanks.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2006
  11. GlobalForce

Birdman,

For the moment would you please confirm the COM+ Event System service is running, you did not omit registering those two dll's in step ten, and the Registration folder in your windir is gone. All you had to do as far as COM in add/remove was have it checked and highlighted, which sound's like what was done. I'll get back ....

GF

12. Birdman

YES the COM+ Event System Service is started (though set to MANUAL). I did follow the instructions in Step 10 (no issues).

*UPDATE* I re-ran the steps again and this time there were NO error(s). However I am still having the issue with VSS. A 3rd party program (First Defense-ISR) is still unable to start the Volume Shadow Copy Service. I've all but given up. :(

Last edited: Nov 2, 2006
  13. GlobalForce

I've come across a few noteworthy idea's but nothing I trust to forward. On that note I'll leave you as Peter suggest's, in the hand's of Raxco support.
    Best of luck!

GF

14. Birdman

Thanks for all your help GF! Much appreciated. :)

15. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

Birdman,

You have spent a lot of time trying to fix this problem and you got excellent help.
    There is one last suggestion that you might consider:
    Create an empty FD-ISR snapthot and do a clean Windows installation.
    See if the VSS works in that new snapshot.

16. GlobalForce

Birdman,

I'm content to let Raxco handle it from here, but am hoping you might satisfy my curiosity one last time while you await word from them. My query revolve's around an earlier post of your's (you haven't re-installed since I take, is that correct ...). If you would then, open a shell (prompt, you can type these consecutively then rt clk, select all, hit enter, paste to notepad and edit out the non-essential's, then post result's), entering the following two command's ....

sc sdshow rpcss

sc sdshow vss

To cross-compare of course. Thank's.

GF

Last edited: Nov 8, 2006
  17. Birdman

Unfortunately I do not have a Windows XP installation CD. My computer already came with XP pre-installed frpm the manufacturer and the only hing I have is a set-up CD and a Recovery Console CD.

18. Birdman

I hope I did this correctly? Ran the above 2 commands (Start > Run type "cmd") and here are the results:

Code:
    Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>sc sdshow rpcss

D:(A;;CCLCSWLORC;;;AU)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;BA)(A;;CCLCSWRPLO;;;IU)(A
    ;;CCLCSWRPLO;;;BU)

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner>sc sdshow vss

D:(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;SY)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;BA)(A;;CCLCSWLOCR
    RC;;;AU)(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;PU)
    :eek:

19. diginsight

diginsight Security Expert

If the VSS service is failing it should write an error message to the application or system log. Run the command "eventvwr.msc" and review the application and system log short after you've tried to start the VSS service. When you locate an error from VSS post the results back to this thread.

20. Birdman

Application Error:

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Error creating the Shadow Copy Provider COM class with CLSID {65ee1dba-8ff4-4a58-ac1c-3470ee2f376a} [0x80040154].

System Log Notification:

The Volume Shadow Copy service was successfully sent a start control.

The Volume Shadow Copy service entered the running state.

21. diginsight

diginsight Security Expert

2BrightSparks offers a broad range of solutions . My advise is to read through the solutions and apply the one that best matches your issue.

22. Birdman

Still no luck. Tried to re-install COM+ again, but received the same ERROR message upon re-install (as noted in a post somewhere above).

Also I noticed that I have the following service MISSING in XP Services:

MS Software Shadow Copy Provider

At this point I've all but given up on trying to get VSS to function properly. Other than FD-ISR....I don't think I've ever needed to use VSS before. The one positive is that FD-ISR can work in RSS mode and that is the more likely solution here. I'm still waiting for Raxco to iron out a few bugs/errors concerning RSS and all should be good.

I'm still open for suggestions regarding getting VSS corrected and working on my system if anyone else has any other ideas?

Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.