how to remove unknown security S/W?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by PhinniusGordo, May 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhinniusGordo

PhinniusGordo Registered Member

I AM a moron, I installed a security program to prevent use of my system by someone in my household, it said it could block use of ports/drives/etc. Well, my printer was out of ink, I didnt print the docs, So...I cannot access the p/w to turn it off/on! No record of the name/publisher/site so I cannot ask for help! Is there something I can do to uninstall/disable this? I had asked a tech if I could use the jumper on the motherboard, forgetting A+ training, and was told to forget that idea....:blink:

Oh, yeah, my XP Disk cannot be found....
    Luckily, my wifes system is still working, so I can get help here/etc...

Gordo

2. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

Re: how to remove unknown sec. S/W?

What is the name of the program? Did you do a Google for it? If it is no longer supported did you try the "cached" results that show up in Google searches?

3. zcv

zcv Registered Member

If you ever do this again, copy the PW and the other info to a document - word or just wordpad, and store it in the same folder that the setup.exe for the program is stored.

Can always print it from there. I assume you back your user data up, so over time you don't have to rely soly on paper.

XP has a default Admin account. Use that to bootup into safe mode - tap the F8 key, and in safe mode see if Add/Remove will uninstall it. W/O knowing what this program is, very hard to give advice. If that doesn't work, then try the program below to get rid of it.

Try BFU:
    http://www.merijn.org/downloads.html

Regards - Charles

Last edited: May 30, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.