How to remove Norton toolbar/phishing protection?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Jadda, Nov 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jadda

Jadda Registered Member

Hello.

I have NIS 2008. And in both IE7 and Firefox the Norton toolbar/Phishing protection is activated and installed. (see picture)

My question is, how do I remove it? Uninstall it for good?! My internet browser is like glue. It takes ages to load a site. I have tried to turn the phising protection off, but the loading still takes ages.

So how do I get rid of the Norton toolbar/phishing protection for good. Completly?

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

Found this on a blog. I haven't tried it before. Follow the directions at your own risk.

http://kev.deadsquid.com/?p=663

3. computer geek

computer geek Registered Member

ie7- tools, toolbar uncheck norton

4. Jadda

Jadda Registered Member

I'll try it later. Thanks!

But if I do that, will it be completly off my internet browser? That it's not active at all? Because it seemed that it just gets hide.

5. Abeltje

Abeltje Registered Member

This would indeed just hide the toolbar. You have to turn off Phishing Protection from withing the Norton program, if you go to "settings" you find the Phishing Protection, click on it to turn it off. You may want to turn off the alarm it generates from NIS then, as well as turn on built in Phishing Protection in Firefox or IE.

Generally, anti phishing from NIS is better than IE or Firefox protection, and I personally do not notice a delay although I have rather slow 3G connection. Maybe the problem is actually somewhere else?

6. Jadda

Jadda Registered Member

Hm, the problem started after I got NIS 2008. It can be NIS itself, but I just guessed it was the toolbar since it only makes the internet browser slow. Before I had Norman and everything went smoothly.

My computer is pretty new, I have a Core2duo and 3 GB RAM. So the problem is not there.

But when I turned to phishing protection off under settings, and opened the internet browser, it still stood: Phishing protection on.
    So it seemed like it wasn't turned off, even if it said so under settings.

7. Abeltje

Abeltje Registered Member

I cannot check as I don't have NIS installed currently, but I think you should be able to check if it is really deactivated through the Internet Explorer Add-ons menu. I guess there NIS anti phishing is listed as a plugin and you can just disable it from there. See if that helps. Good luck!

8. Niels

Niels Registered Member

You can also do this so the toolbar will not be loaded. First take a look under tools,manage add-on's take a look at file. An e.g Ietoolbar.dll

Go to start,run type regsvr32 /u "C:\Program Files\Symantec\"the file name" this is only an example. Press enter. So the toolbar will not be loaded again. You can do that for the plugin in firefox also.

9. Jadda

Jadda Registered Member

YES! It worked. I can see the different right away after I deactivated the Norton toolbar. Now it goes so much smoother.

Thank you very much :)

Thanks to you to. I tried this method to, and it worked! As stated further up, I see the different right away.

Thanks to all who have helped me with this problem. It's sad that the Norton toolbar slowes the browser down. Not much, but I see it. Lets hope they fix it in the next version.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.