How to REMOVE Antivirus XP 2008 - ROGUE application

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by PROROOTECT, Sep 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PROROOTECT

PROROOTECT Registered Member

2. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

I install those rogue apps quite often and the easiest way to get rid of them is to terminate then delete the contents of the sandbox.;)

If installed on the real system I would run MBAM first then run a follow up scan with SAS.

3. DanaNicole76

DanaNicole76 Registered Member

In the middle of some forest just out of Duluth, M
    What I want to know is why Eset doesn't automatically detect and remove this threat. I don't like messing with my registry and isn't that what I pay them for?
    o_O

Last edited: Sep 16, 2008
  4. PROROOTECT

Yes Franklin, absolutely certain : MBAM .

Last edited: Sep 17, 2008
  5. PROROOTECT

Last edited: Sep 17, 2008
  6. DanaNicole76

WHEW! Thank you I was starting to panic! I love my sweet computer! Without out it, I might have to read a BOOK or something :doubt:

7. HURST

HURST Registered Member

Dana:
    Eset doesn't detect it because it doesn't have definitions yet. For an antivirus to be effective, it has to know the malware first. That's why Eset (and every other AV) updates itself several times a day: to get the latest definitions and fight new malware. The time between malware appears and when it gets detected can be a few hours to a couple of days.
    Just remember: NO AV CAN CATCH ALL.

This is why, you'll see that most people here have a different AV as a backup in order to get a second opinion. Just be sure that, if you decide to do this, the second opinion can only work on demand, since 2 real-time AV's can and will cause trouble. 2 great backup scans are CureIt and AVP, since they are just scanners and have no real-time protection.

If you are infected by Antivirus XP 2008, I suggest also running MBAM and/or SAS, which are antispyware apps, and CAN be installed side by side with an Antivirus with no conflicts.

Good luck and welcome to wilders!

8. DanaNicole76

Thanks that is very helpful. VERY.
    Just one other quick question, I am a memory miser and hate to make my programs run slower. I DO have a duo Processor and 2GB of RAM but I guess you can call me stingy. However a slower HEALTHY computer is much more important! So I guess its more curiosity then anything, do any of the programs hog up the memory usage?

Thanks for the warm welcome!! :)

9. HURST

HURST Registered Member

Dana,

The backup scanners I told you (cureit and AVP) are no memory troublemakers, since, if you want to use them, you download them (you must download a new version everytime you want to scan, cureit is about 10MB), run them, and delete them.

The Antispyware apps are very light. SAS uses less than 1MB of memory when active and not scanning.

I'll PM you later with more details :)

10. DanaNicole76

Ok do tell me what the heck is AVP? I tried the other one and it only does an express scan which leaves a whole lot of files unchecked. I looked up AVP and came up with Alien VS Preditor and Avon Products and as much as I love high quality make up and violently exciting video games, it's not quite what I was hoping for.

By the way...what is SandboxIEo_O?

11. The_1337

The_1337 Registered Member

Read his posts and search on the forum. It's all there (and much more).

12. HURST

HURST Registered Member

Dana, on my first post, there is a link to AVP tool. It's a scanner by Kaspersky AV (a reputable AV vendor). It's free. Every time you want new definitions, you do need to download it again. It installs itself, but when you close it, it uninstalls.

With cureit, once the first quick scan is over, you can choose a full scan.

SandboxIE is another tool, a sandbox, which is a whole new approach. But I suggest you to stick with traditional AV's until you feel confortable with your know-how and then (if you want) make the switch to other apps.

Good places to start learning:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malware
    A little analogy regarding real-time protection
    History of Virii vs AntiVirus War!

Have fun reading!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.