How to reinstall/repair install ME

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by bigbuck, Jan 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

G'Day,
    Old Buck is at a bit of a loss again! Have some friends with probs on their ME system. They had a functining dial-up connection until they tried to self-install ADSL the other day, which ended with the system not recognising their modem. In frustration (after 6 hours) they packed up the broadband kit sending it back and opting to stay with their dial-up.
    1. They can not get their dial up back up and running....it's connecting but not finding the server (countless hours with phone tech advice have failed to rectify).
    2. There are 'remanants' of a very messy McAfee Security Suite uninstall that they did 6mths ago. A few error mesages here and there.....and probably remnants of this failed broadband install?
    3. Now they had very little personal data which I backed up for them yesterday.
    4. I am tending to think that a fresh install of ME might be their best option....only......I am not very familiar with ME.

I need some clear and simple instructions on how to reinstall ME. I have googled a bit but the info seems to vary widely....
    They have the ME product CD (not a restore disk). Is it possible to just reinstall straight over the top? Will it give a repair install option(there wasn't one in add/remove progs)? Does their HDD have to be wiped and reformatted?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    Is there a simple step by step procedure that I could follow?
    Many thanks,
    DumbBuck.

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I am pretty sure that there is a repair option when the ME disc is installed I never had to do a repair when I had Me. just remember that me is almost just 98se.

3. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Hey Buck,

Sorry I couldn't offer you a step by step, but you'll find good info and plenty of screenshots here....Windows Networking.
    Lots of detailed articles and straight-forward info.

Hey BigC, didn't see you on the boards and thought I could sneak one in....guess not! :D

GF

Last edited: Jan 12, 2005
  4. dog

dog Guest

Have you tried running scandisk? System Restore? and a reg. cleaner?

Here's a installation/reinstallation FAQ:

http://www.probz.com/winme/

5. bigbuck

Thanks bigc.....I did put the Cd in and it started to loading something?....said it would take 60mins or so.....I stopped it because I wasn't sure if I would get that option...
    Thanks GF, will have a look at that!

6. bigbuck

Thanks Dog, didn't think to try sys restore and too scared to try the reg cleaner! I was thinking a fresh install would clear all the leftover McAfee stuff too! If it just reinstalled over the top it would be great...
    Thanks again,
    Brad.

7. bigc73542

That is a pretty good link there GF ;)

8. dog

dog Guest

M$ KB Articles:

Roll back the clock with System Restore -
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsme/using/computerhealth/articles/systemrestore.asp

System Restore Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) -
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/community/centers/management/sysrestore_faq.mspx

Description of ScanDisk for Windows (Scandskw.exe) in Windows 98/Me - http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;186365

Try System Restore first ... if that doesn't work. Try using Scandisk and a Reg Cleaner ... before you try to repair/re-install ME.

HTH, ;)

Steve

Ps. You're NOT dumb (and you just got a little smarter) ... just because you don't know or are unsure about something ... The Smart Person always asks. ;) Even Experts like Pieter Arntz or LWM never stop learning ... No one does. ;)

9. bigc73542

That is also some excellent info there dog. ;)

curt

10. bigbuck

Thanks again Steve, I'd forgotten ME had sys restore too! I'll have a read.
    Regards,
    Brad.

Yes it is good...still there looking for the reinstall stuff. Nice and simple! Just how I like it!
    This bit's the best;
    :D :D ....Yep, mustn't forget that! :D :D
    Thanks again everyone!
    Can always rely on the Wilders team!
    Brad.

11. dog

dog Guest

OT ... but I continue regardless :p

@ GF

That was a great link GF ... Never worry about who has/hasn't posted a reply ... If you've got something to add ... Muck in there my Friend ;) :) Every bit of info is appreciated ... We miss you, when you're not mucking in. ;)

It's like dinner @ Mom's with hundreds of brothers & sisters ... You got to fight to get a Word in edge wise. ;) :D

:ninja: *puppy* :ninja:

12. bigc73542

Dog is correct, the more info you have available the better choices you are able to make. :D so keep it coming guys and gals==and dogs

bigc

Last edited: Jan 12, 2005
  13. bigbuck

I did mention that I appreciate all this.....didn't I? :)

14. dog

dog Guest

One of the Bosses adds ... "... And Gals!!!" :D

15. bigbuck

Last edited: Jan 13, 2005
  16. bigc73542

A lot of information is good, to much or conflicting info is confusing, a little common sense in posting help replies will help to keep the overwhelming flood of info that sometimes is present in some threads from becoming counter productive. Once a problem is addressed with a solution that is what the person with the problem needed should be sufficient. Continuing post's with more info Doesn't really serve a purpose and is sometimes confusing to the less experienced computer user. Once the user has enough information to fix their problem. posting more info won't fix it better.

bigc

17. Ailric

Ailric Guest

BB,

I was using WindowsME just a few months ago, I'm quite familiar with installing it. I wouldn't recommend installing over the previous install, it would always ruin my internet connection.

Clean Install
    1. Make sure you have a WindowsME startup disk (you can make one in Add/Remove programs).
    2. Restart the system with the boot floppy in.
    3. Choose Start Computer With CD-ROM support.
    4. Type "Format C:"
    5. When done, change directory to the CD-ROM drive - ie. cd d:
    6. Type Setup - hit "enter"

That's it.
    This information is for when you do a clean install that you mentioned you will be doing... I'm not trying to add more info than you need :)

18. bigbuck

Thanks for that Ailric and thanks to everyone who posted advice for me!
    Greatly appreciated as always!
    Buck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.