HOW TO QUESTION: Application specific bypass of VPN

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by morrowise, Feb 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. morrowise

morrowise Registered Member

If I utilize a VPN service like AIRVPN or something like it, can I make one browser (e.g. CHROME) bypass the VPN so it uses my regular connection and ip
    address while everything else (e.g. FIREFOX, IE) travels through the VPN? I don't want to use a proxy, but I don't know if some kind of application-specific firewall rule (I use Comodo Firewall) will do it, either. What's the simplest way?

2. 333

333 Registered Member

The easiest way would be to just shut off your VPN service when you want to connect to the net using your browser without encryption.

This is what I do.

3. CasperFace

CasperFace Registered Member

The only way I know of to use your regular connection concurrently with a VPN (on the same PC) is to use virtualization. Just download VMWare Player (freeware) and clone a secondary instance of your operating system. That way, you can use your VPN exclusively within your newly-created virtual OS, thereby allowing your primary OS to use your regular connection as normal. If you've never worked with virtualization before, it may seem a bit intimidating at first... but it's actually pretty easy once you get the hang of it. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.