How to properly update Dr. Web CureIT?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Matt_Smi, May 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi Registered Member

I recently got the CureIT scanner as a backup for NOD32 (along with A2 and Ewido which I already have). I really like how you don’t have to even install it. But about updating it, do you just go here http://download.drweb.com/bases/ download the file with the most recent date and then extract all the files to the Dr. Web folder? Because I did this but I can’t find any place in the program that tells you if the def’s are up to date. Thanks.

2. Benvan45

Benvan45 Registered Member

Good question!!! I would mail Dr. Web and ask, but I think just downloading and unzipping drwtoday woud do the trick.
    You can check the latest update at the 'about' tab.

;) Putin

3. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

Maybe this will help... CureIT thread . Post #5. It looks like it doesn't include drw43238.vdb and drwtoday.vdb

4. Matt_Smi

I sent them an e-mail, here is what they said, pretty good reply IMO...

> Hello,

> I recently got the CureIT scanner but am not 100% sure how it should
    > be updated, do you just go here http://download.drweb.com/bases/
    > download the file with the most recent date and then extract all the
    > files to the Dr. Web folder?

Yes, basically. Every week we let out weekly updating (drw43238.zip,
    for example). Within a week we let out daily addon (drwtoday.zip) some
    times in day, in process of processing new viruses.

See also User Manual: http://download.drweb.com/win/

Documentation (PDF), chapter 4.1. General information

> Because I did this but I can't find any place in the program that
    > tells you if the def's are up to date.

In the scanner DrWeb, menu Help, About you can see total virus records
    in the database and date of last update. You can check its with our
    site: http://www.drweb.com/ - "Latest virus definitions update" and
    "Total records in the virus base" (on the top left corner).

> Thank you for making this program free and for the assistance.

Thank you for the cooperation.

So according to the reply you can update it weekly by downloading the most recent file right under Dwtoday, or you can update it daily with Dwtoday. Then you just place these files into the folder where CureIT is saved and replace the ones already in there. I think it is easier to just update it weekly, that is about how frequent I do un-demand scans with it anyhow.

Last edited: May 6, 2005
  5. Mike81

Mike81 Guest

6. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Last or latest?

7. Mike81

Mike81 Guest

Ooops : latest and with lastest definition files

8. Matt_Smi

Hmm actually I still have a question about the updating process. Does anyone know if the update files are cumulative? For example the most recent update in my CureIT currently is 43237 (2005-04-24), now the newest one out is 43239 (2005-05-08 now if I just download this newest one will it also contain the update 43238 (2005-05-01)? Or do I need to download both of them to get all the new defs? The reason I ask is because I noticed that my Dr. Web folder has all of the same updates listed on this site http://download.drweb.com/bases/ so it seems that you need to download these new update files every week and keep adding them to your Dr. Web folder in order to have all the defs. I suppose I could just download just the newest def and then compare the number of sigs from the program and see if it matches the number on the Dr. Web site.

Last edited: May 8, 2005
  9. shorty1

shorty1 Registered Member

Yes, they are cumulative so you need to download each one.

10. Matt_Smi

Ok cool, I will try to make sure I update it every week but if I do miss a week I will be sure to get both the current and previous weeks updates.

11. fred22

fred22 Registered Member

Thx for the ftp although im running into problems whit F-Prot (on demand scanner only) while running the setup
    DrWeb prompt complains: Setup has found an existing Frisk software F-prot...

is this software using the same engine or something?
    its always nice to have some on-demand scanners ;) although im not sure what to do..install drweb and remove f-prot? or can i install both despite the error(screenshot)

thx

Attached Files:

12. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

I presume you are trying to run the full version of Dr Web, as the CureIT program does not need to install itself on your computer. But from your post it is unclear whether you are trying to install Dr Web as a primary or as another on-demand scanner?

1. Ignore error warning and carry on with install. If you are installing Dr Web as another secondary scanner, the two programs should not conflict.

2. However, if you are installing Dr Web as your primary scanner, you may find conflicts. In this case, the order of installation may be important. IME, it is better to install Dr Web first then load up other programs after this.

Personally, I would only install one of these AV's; the one which suits you and your system the best.

But if you have licensed copies of Dr Web and F-Prot, by all means try and use both of them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.