how to play protected music

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by frank47, Nov 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frank47

frank47 Registered Member

I have a lot of old music big bands and such.When I try to add some of them to my movie program can't because there protected.Is there legal way of doing this?just my own use ,videos i make of trips. thanks

2. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i think it is illegal, but just about everyone feels the music industry has made a big mistake using DRM. i think it's main purpose is to stop piracy, but i could be wrong as it stops people from making personal copies of their own music.

maybe someone will PM you telling you how to remove the DRM - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Rights_Management

i've never needed to strip DRM so i'm not a great help. you might find something at this link though :D
    http://del.icio.us/search/?fr=del_icio_us&p=strip drm&type=all

3. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

It really depends on the country you are in !

DRM in the UK... well, considering the copying for personal use is still legal, then DRM removal for personal use cannot be enforced either.

This is the same way you can modify a program yourself as long as you dont redistribute the modifed program... in the UK for personal use only.

This is why cracks for software are still legal, but cracked software if you try and distribute is a big no-no.

I remember trying to read up on DRM legalities and 99% of the stuff on the net (even on a lot of UK sites), uses or quotes USA specific DRM information.

4. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Not really an advice - but don't buy DRMed music. You are only helping the evil capitalists of this world.
    Mrk

5. frank47

Thanks fellows no help.Music i have ,some i purchased on msn music but most from early days of kazaa.

6. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i was going to say something similar to nick, but i asked on IRC and was told it's not legal. the reason i wasn't sure is there's something called decss which is legal to download (not sure about install and use though :rolleyes:) anywhere in the world, but the US. it enables people who use linux to play DVDs which use css during playback. there is/wasn't any other way to play DVDs because there isn't commercial software for it on linux. when i've installed decss there's normally a message somewhere saying people in the US aren't allowed to use it.

7. frank47

Sure would appreciate a PM on this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.