How to make confusing privacy policies usable

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by ronjor, Oct 27, 2017.

1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

By Michael Kassner | October 27, 2017, 5:29 AM PST

2. deBoetie

deBoetie Registered Member

I disagree with the suggested approach: until there is consumer-protective legislation, obscure legalese will flourish. We badly need equivalents of Unfair Contracts Acts and so on to give decent boundaries to what the privacy policies can and cannot do, and which clauses will be unenforceable. Plus stuff like clear consented opt-in with alternatives and default opt-out which things like GDPR are at last making some progress with.

I'd also welcome more trade initiatives backed by larger marketplaces, which enforced model standard policies which were fair and even-handed in some sense.

We're still in the era on the internet that we were in the bad old days of trade when people added Lead Oxide to bread to make it whiter, or did dodgy things with scales. Apparently, the spoof policies including clauses handing over your firstborn are legally valid, which is bizarre.

3. RockLobster

RockLobster Registered Member

Hmmm interesting, I think I'll make a website with miles of terms and conditions including one that says,
    You hereby agree to sell all your property to the administrator of this website for the sum of 5cents.

4. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

"Privacy researchers suggest it is time for that to change."

It will change when those generating those verdammte policies will have figured out another waterproof angle. Not a moment before.

:argh:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.