how to make acronis boot disk on external usb hard drive ?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by gtr, Dec 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gtr

gtr Registered Member

hello,

I own licence for Acronis True Image home and workstation versions.

Actually I restore from bootdisk and my external usb hard disk drive.

I'd like to know how I could make my hard drive bootable with acronis boot disk on it, to be able to do everyrestore from my hard drive, without the need to use one cd-r boot disk ?

I've got enough space on the hard drive to partition it, and I already turned on the option of 'boot on usb drive' in my pc's bios.

I've checked on this forum but couldn't find answer to this, can you help me ?

Thanks ! :thumb:

2. foghorne

foghorne Registered Member

I believe you can do this on your internal drive with the Startup Recovery Manager, but I am not sure if this is a goer from your USB drive.

Hopefully someone in the know can comment.

F.

3. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Well, yes and no. Whilst you can create an Acronis Secure Zone (SZ) on the external drive, the associated Startup Recovery Manager (SRM) is activated by modifying the MBR of the main system drive. Not much cop if the main system drive were to go belly up.

However, it might be possible to create the SZ/activate the SRM on the main system drive, transfer it to an external USB enclosure of the appropriate type i.e. SATA or IDE and see if it boots into TI rescue mode via the F11 key. Unfortunately I can't test the theory (internal drives are SATA whilst external is IDE in a USB/IDE enclosure) but perhaps someone else could give it a try?

Regards

Last edited: Dec 5, 2006
  4. gtr

gtr Registered Member

hello Menorcaman and Foghorne,
    thanks for your answer, I'll try to do this, and will stay you informed on this post.

Meanwhile, I tried to create the bootdisk directly on my external usb key (4 gigas), with the bootdisk creation soft in TrueImage, I couldn't boot with the software on it.

5. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi again gtr,

I think you will need a much lower capacity USB key (I use both a 256MB and a 512MB) although you could try repartitioning it as two 2GB partitions. In addition, the key will need to be FAT formatted rather than FAT32 and it's worth trying different USB Boot Device settings in your BIOS. Here are a couple of earlier threads on the subject that may prove useful:

<Boot from usk key>
    <ATI 9.1 Rescue media on USB will not boot>

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.