How to make 100,000 copies of Linux on CD?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by lucygrl, Jan 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lucygrl

lucygrl Registered Member

Thankyou Tom, the reason I do not want to use Ubuntu is I have been reading a bit lately about something to do with licensing fees. Im not sure what it all means, but it was enough to put me off Ubuntu. There is something here about it, maybe some others with more experience can clarify all this....http://fridge.ubuntu.com/2014/02/13/community-council-statement-on-canonical-package-licensing/

2. lucygrl

Has anyone here tried, Trisquel? Any opinions on it? Its seems to be the ideal Linux for what im planning.

3. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Looking at the reviews about Trisquel at Wikipedia, in the Reception last sub-paragraph, it mentions:
    If this is an issue with most of your users, you may not want to pursue Trisquel for that reason.

-- Tom

4. lucygrl

Thankyou for that information and yes it will be an issue for most users. I guess it is still an option for some users. What im trying to do is come up with a distro that is not going to give me any grief with copyright issues, etc. Trisquel seemed the best option, but Im open to suggestions.

5. WeAreAllHacked

WeAreAllHacked Registered Member

Printing thousands of your own custom CD's and hand them out seems like an interesting way to spread something fishy as well. Some thoughts I have on this:

I have never coded for Linux (except for some basic scripting) but it would be interesting if you could add some unique id to each of those CD's and have their system send that id to a site or something after an installation is done (maybe you can simply have their startpage be like: thisismysite.something/id=11 and get some statistic that way without messing much with Linux). Then you can get a somewhat decent number on how many took the CD and actually went ahead to installed it. This is useful for telling you and us who are curious if this campaign is effective or not. Maybe you are just throwing money away, maybe not but without numbers you can't tell if what your doing is helping spread Linux (and no numbers means you can't really do smaller tests and see if different approaches will lead to better results).

6. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

FYI in a couple days Mint 17 (final) based on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS will be out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.