How to lock out all traffic?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by bellgamin, Oct 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

In reality bellgamin, you probably didn't have to do a thing. When you walk away from the pc leaving no browser and other Internet apps open, what internet traffic is going to get past the router anyways, other than maybe harmless antimalware definition updates?

2. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

I second to wat0114.
    Just stop all the programs having internet access.
    Something like TCPView can help you notice if you have any running that the bare eye might miss.
    For locking updates from your puter "calling evil home motherbase" though needs a firewall like kerio 2.1.5 or in some cases those programs have settings to disable their automatic updates, but you will never know for sure.

3. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I now have an application that has a "Block all" button. Nothing can go out or come in when I click that button.

I just read the following remark at another forum. . .

For various reasons, I prefer to discuss that comment with you folks (family) instead of over yonder (strangers).

There4 --- Can anyone comment as to whether the above quoted remark is presenting a valid issue? If so, any idea as to: how long is "too long" ??

4. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

This is valid.
    The time out can depend on the "Lease time" given, but also how your ISP checks on valid users.

"Lease time" can be viewed (on your setup) within the router, this can vary between 1/12/24 hours or even up to a week. But some ISP`s do check (I am not sure why yet) that IP`s are valid, and will attempt to renew before the timeout, if not allowed, then IP`s are dropped (and you will not be able to connect without a forced renew)

5. bellgamin

Wow, I learned something! Thanks Stem. You da man, brah!

I checked my router & it's set at 12 hours.

As to my ISP (Oceanic cable) entering into the equation, my experience tells me that (as long as I pay their bill on time) they could pretty much *care less* about anything else.

6. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

An ISP will keep to agreement, but if you look carefully, the agreement will amount to you paying the bill on time, and they will provide the service when they can.

7. bellgamin

Should be the other way around, wot? ;)

8. Lundholm

Lundholm Registered Member

Hi,

I tried to say the same thing in my previous posts. But I wouldn't call it an issue, just normal DHCP behavior. Like a download getting interrupted if you exit the download manager.

Datacommunications isn't easy, but it's so good...

Cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.