How to keep 30 days of backups with Enterprise server.

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by AaronAnderson, Feb 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AaronAnderson

AaronAnderson Registered Member

Hello. I’m setting up a new system for a client. I need to have at least 30 days of backups on hand at any given time. What’s the best way to achieve this?

I have Administrator profiles setup for each of my servers.
    Quota: Unlimited
    Period: Unlimited
    Max Backups in Location: Unlimited
    Max Backups in Archive: 31

With that setup, I believe that Acronis will make one full backup on the first day and then make an incremental each day for the next 30 days. What happens on the 32nd day of backups?

I probably need to schedule automatic consolidation every month, or 30 days?

Does the consolidation ever shrink the image files? For example with simple numbers so it’s not confusing.

You take a full backup that is 50gb.
    You remove 20gb of data from that system.
    You take an incremental backup, which would be trivial in size.

When you consolidate your full backup and the one incremental, do you end up consuming 30gb of disk space on your backup server?

I just want the past 31 days available, at all times, with zero manual intervention.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello AaronAnderson,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Remote Server Backup Software.

Since all other quotas are set to "Unlimited", on the 32th day a new full backup will be created (starting a new backup set). The old backup set will remain untouched.

You are correct, consolidation of a 50gb full backup and incremental containing data on deletion of 20gb will result in a 30gb full backup.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

3. AaronAnderson

AaronAnderson Registered Member

I'm pretty sure I understand what's going on here. I want to have the previous 31 days of backups available at any time.

With my current set up, a NEW set will be created every 32 day. Right? So the first set remains in tact forever.

So if I had the set retention set to 32 days, my first set would get purged and a new set would be created on day 32. On this day I would only be able to go back 1 day if I needed to restore something.

Sounds like I should set my retention to 62 days or something like that...

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello AaronAnderson,

Please notice that if you set a consolidation task for Acronis Backup Server, when the limits are breached, the consolidation process will fix the limit violation by consolidating two oldest archives (full one and incremental one) into one. So, after the process ends, you will still have 31 days of backups available. Please see paragraph "Acronis Backup Server installation and setup" of Acronis True Image Echo Enterprise Server User's Guide for detailed instructions.

Thank you.
    --
    Marat Setdikov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.