How to Isolate Hard Drives from one another

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Cheesekraft, Apr 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cheesekraft

Cheesekraft Registered Member

Hello, I am trying to figure out a way to be able to download and access more "questionable" files on a computer where I also do sensitive work. Perhaps sandboxing is the answer, but I am not really sure how to do this. I would like to use utorrent and download and view video files without any risk. Should a seperate folder be made, utorrent saving to this folder, and it be forced to run in a sandbox? Should one drive be isolated from the other completely?(and would this be feasible, could programs still run properly)

Having one hard drive B that was freely accessible to all programs but any program on the other drive C is completely immune from any malware on drive B, this would be ideal.

Thanks for any thoughts.

2. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

Firstly I'd not recommend downloading and accessing "questionable" files on a system that contains personal/important information,the two concepts are incompatible.

However if you intend to do this virtualization is the answer.Using the likes of Virtualbox or VMWare,you can create a guest operating system completely isolated from the host (main) system.You can access all the dodgy stuff on the virtual O/S with a high degree of safety.You'll still need to exercise caution if you intend to transfer stuff to your "real" system since some malware is "VM-Aware" and won't show up if it's run in a VM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.