How to install two xp on my new HDD ?

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by QmAn, Sep 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QmAn

QmAn Registered Member

dear users,
    Now I have a new HDD 200GB, and I,d like to install 2 windows xp pro, one to myself n one to my son. I just wonder how to begin? I have Acronis Disk Director Suite 9 n OS selector 8.

please tell me how to do?

thanks in advance

2. miked

miked Registered Member

Before you try this you need to understand that you can not activate the same copy of Windows XP installed twice on the same machine.

You will have to buy another copy with a different CD Key to make the second installation.

It can be done. But, not with the same copy. It will not activate.

Mike

3. q1aqza

q1aqza Registered Member

I have a triple boot PC, with WINME and two instances of Win XP and I was able to activate both instances of XP with no problem at all.

Mike, you don't happen to work in sales for Microsoft do you? :D

4. nod32_9

nod32_9 Guest

Create two primary C partitions. Activate/install the boot loader so you can toggle between the two partitions. Set one of the partition active and install WXP. Make an image file of this partition. Restore this image file to the second (empty partition). You now have two primary partitions with two identical copies of WXP. Use the boot loader to select the appropriate partition upon PC boot. Since you can only have one active primary partition at a time, the other partition will be hidden from view.

Having two independent primary partitions will greatly reduce the chance of cross-data corruption.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.