How to install Ad-Aware 5.83 over 5.82?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by polo, Jun 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. polo

polo Guest

I know this might sound very simple but there appears to be conflicting information...

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/faq.html
    Q: Do I need to uninstall previous versions before installing an updated version?
    A: Yes please uninstall all previous versions before installing an update

The 583.zip contains Ad-aware.exe (version 5.83) and reffile.awr so isn't it superfluous to uninstall and reinstall? Just copy those files across, otherwise ___why___ provide 583.zip?
    Only thing I can see is that the registry information will still have 5.82 as the current version and perhaps the readme.txt might be outofdate!

2. discogail

discogail Security Expert

It's an either/or thing.
    Either......Download the full update:
    "Uninstall the previous versions of AdAware before installing the new version."
    Or:...........
    An alternative installation...
    "Download the zipped 'update' only files.
    Unzip the file to the desktop.
    Open the AdAware folder.
    Delete the AdAware icon and the reffile.awr
    Open the new 'update' folder on the desktop
    Copy and paste the 2 new files from the 'update' folder into the AdAware folder. "

& yeah.....seems like add/remove programs & registry will still show 5.82 as the version.

3. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

4. polo

polo Guest

spy1,

I don't particularly care too much if the registry, etc has the wrong version so after reading that thread it looks the 583.zip is the neater and faster way of updating? Any problems there?

The only minor thing is that the readme.txt which might have some "vital new info" (!) won't be updated...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.