How to install a TOR on linux?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by mattdocs12345, Oct 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

Okay Im having trouble with getting Tor to work on linux. Im running ubuntu 12.04 LTS and I downloaded Tor from Ubuntu Software center and it keeps crashing. It won't connect to anything. Any ideas how to get this working or when the porblem will be fixed? Has Tor always had problems with running on linux or is it something recent? From reviews it looks like im not the only one having the same issues.

Update:
    Thank you guys. Now how do I automate it?
    1) It takes too long to connect to Tor. When I start my browser I want it to work instantly. So I need to find a way to force Tor to connect when the computer starts and then start the Tor browser minimized also when the computer starts.
    2) How do I bypass the annoying "Do you want to run 'start tor browser' or display its contents?"
    I mean privacy is important to me but convenience is also something I value.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  2. AlexC

AlexC Registered Member

If you're interested, I tried to use Tor Browser Bundle and it works (Linux Mint 15). Just extract and run. I think this is the link: https://www.torproject.org/download/download

3. Gitmo East

Gitmo East Registered Member

4. mattdocs12345

Thank you guys. Now how do I automate it?
    1) It takes too long to connect to Tor. When I start my browser I want it to work instantly. So I need to find a way to force Tor to connect when the computer starts and then start the Tor browser minimized.
    2) How do I bypass the annoying "Do you want to run 'start tor browser' or display its contents?"
    I mean privacy is important to me but convenience is also something I value.

5. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

The best way to run Tor is not to run it from the Ubuntu Software Center which as you have found out is unreliable, but to download an ISO version of Tails, then burn the ISO to a USB flash drive. They are keeping up with the modifications to the Tor Browser Bundle on a fairly regular basis.

I run Ubuntu 12.04.3 from a USB, and Tails 0.20.1 from another USB.

When you connect with Tor, Vidalia will come up and then the Tor Browser which is a Firefox derivative aka IceWeasel (a Gnu project). You should know that even though it does not automatically check that the browser is using Tor, you should bring up Vidalia's Graphic web traffic monitor, and its Map of the Tor network. I have noticed that when Tails launches the browser - it is using clearnet, not Tor to do so, and the same if you were to visit check.torproject.org.

I visually monitor both of those Vidalia features to determine when IceWeasel can be used to access Tor - because, without the Connection Mapping subwindow within the Vidalia features, and the Graphic Tor Traffic monitor indicating that Tor is being used - then for any clearnet address you would type in thinking you were using Tor - you would actually not be using Tor, but the clearnet.

I manually set the UTC time with my atomic watch, and format the time in the top menu bar for 24-hour time to match the output of the Vidalia window that indicates that Tor is Running, and Connected - which until the Graphics traffic monitor indicates Tor traffic is occuring, and the Connect Map subwindow of Vidalia gets filled in - the browser is not yet ready to be used with Tor.

Go to the Tails webpage here to read before you download it.

Wanting Tor to run instantly will not make it safe for you to do so. Be patient, and wait for it to work properly, or you will not be safe in your quest for convenience!

-- Tom

6. lotuseclat79

Hi mattdocs12345,

Just an extra note on why not to get Tor from the Ubuntu repositories:

At the tor project Running the Tor client on Linux/BSD/Unix: In Step One Download and Install Tor
    Note that these are the installation instructions for running a Tor client. The easiest way to do this is to simply download the Tor Browser Bundle (TBB) and you are done.

I personally recommend running Tails. That way you are not running Tor and the Tor client on your day-to-day OS in your normal user profile. By running Tails your profile and the Tails OS have a different fingerprint when you use Tor. Make sure you don't add any new browser plugins or add-ons since that will make you standout from other Tails users.

At the very least, if you choose to run Tor on your day-to-day OS via the TBB, create a new user profile when you do so and switch profiles to using it for Tor Only, such that your normal user profile is not mixed with Tor use.

One last piece of advice - read the documentation at the Tor Project website for using Tor - this is very important so you don't hose your anonymity!

-- Tom

7. mattdocs12345

I just wish there was a way to start Tor connection in the background when the computer starts so that I don't have to wait for it when I want to open my browser. Any ideas?

8. lotuseclat79

Hi mattdocs12345,

As I mentioned in message #5, it does you no good to get a Tor connection early as soon as the browser comes up and Vidalia traffic monitor and the Map subwindow in Vidalia both show no actual Tor traffic and an empty connection subwindow in the Map.

Until the Vidalia Map connection subwindow fills up and the Tor traffic monitor - both accessible via a right-click on the Vidalia symbol - shows actual Tor traffic any attempt to use the Tor browser will likely result in using Clearnet for a connection instead of Tor - and this could be very detrimental to your anonymity. Also, there is another Vidalia selection that will show a bar not quite finished while all this is going on, and when all is finally finished the bar shows a Vialia Tor symbol whic means that everything is ready for you to use Tor safely!

This happens in Tails, and you should make sure it does not manifest when using the Tor Browser Bundle if that is what you choose to use.

I also recommend that you bring up your system without the network enabled in order to run the program macchanger to change the Mac address identity of your computer that identifies your computer to send the return tunnel traffic from your router and then to your computer to be decrypted in your Tor browser.

Be patient in order to be Safe and preserve your privacy via anonymity in using Tor!

-- Tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.