how to hide/stop sharing on home network?

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by wutsup, Oct 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

hey wilders,

in my home network i have 2 computers, my gaming computer which has vista with windows firewall and my family computer which has xp home with online armor 4.5 free.

what settings do i need to change in my computers and router so that they cannot communicate with each other in any way?(file sharing,printer sharing,seeing each other on the network. etc etc)

thanks for reading, wutsup

2. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

anyone? i just want to make sure so just in case one computer gets infected in my home network that it wont spread.

3. NoIos

NoIos Registered Member

First of all set a different Group name on both PCs. You can do it under System in the control panel for both operating systems.

Then on Windows Vista go to control panel Network and Internet->Network and sharing center. There you can disable file sharing, printer sharing etc.

On Windows XP..go to control panel ( classic view ), select the Network connections, find your active connection ( usually called Local area connection ). Right click and choose properties. In the new window unselect File and Printer sharing.

In both cases reboot your Pc and you're done.

4. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

oh thats it? i already have it set like that. i thought there were more settings?

what about in my router settings? are there any settings in there?

5. hierophant

hierophant Registered Member

Do you have a device that supports multiple NAT ranges (e.g., 192.168.111.* and 192.168.112.*)? If so, enable that, and segregate stuff accordingly.

6. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

i dont think it does. so basically what NoIos posted is all that is need to stop malware from spreading thorughout the home network just incase one computer gets infected? or are they more settings in windows?

7. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

are there any more settings in windows or the router that the ones suggested in this threat already?

i have a d link router

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.