How to get into Safe Mode with SO Selector?

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by revrusty1, Jan 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. revrusty1

revrusty1 Registered Member

How to get into Safe Mode with OS Selector?

I'm a little frantic, so my scan of previous posts might have missed this:
    How do I get into safe mode instead of the OS Selector Boot Menu?

Here's what happened (probably a lot more info than you need):
    I've long used the free version of Anti-Vir and got a notice today saying I hadn't updated in 14 days. When the that update failed to connect, I opened the program and clicked on update. It took a lot longer than usual and after rebooting I found I now had a trial version of their not-so-free program. So I disabled it in the startup menu and instead went with a trial of BitDefender, which I wouldn't mind paying for. After the installation's reboot, Windows loaded very slowly, so I rebooted again. My Windows XP Home goes OK until the wallpaper appears. After several minutes the bottom bar has yet to appear, let alone load the sys tray or get to the Start button or Control Panel. On that first reboot after the install, I noticed the Bitdefender icon appeared first, while Anti-Vir previously showed up later in the string.

I'll gladly use System Restore to wipe away both anti-viruse programs, but pressing F-8 doesn't let me into Safe Mode. I keep getting the OS Selector screen, and I can't figure out how to get to SafeMode orSystem Restore.

Please help!!!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2006
  2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Re: How to get into Safe Mode with OS Selector?

Hello revrusty1,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Partition and Disk Managing Software.

Please be aware that Acronis OS Selector does not allow you to boot your Windows in Safe Mode.

We recommend you to Deactivate Acronis OS Selector before trying to boot Windows Safe Mode.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

3. revrusty1

OK, how to deactivate Acronis OS Selector? Didn't immediately see in search.

4. revrusty1

Never mind. Explored Acronis for myself to see what you mean, but never had to disable OS Selector. Instead I searched out how to manually uninstall offending BitDefender on another computer, used Task Manager to kill BitDefender processes on my compuer and let the desktop finally load, then deleted the culprit in the registry and everything now works fine. ;-)

5. Acronis Support

Hello revrusty1,

I'm glad to hear that your issue has been resolved. If you have any further questions please feel free to ask. I'll certainly try to answer.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

6. snickerrrrs

snickerrrrs Registered Member

I can't believe that Acronis Support didn't have the correct answer to this; Select Windows from OS Selector then press F8 as soon as your screen goes blank, Windows will give you your boot choices then.... Snickerrrrs

7. Acronis Support

Hello snickerrrrs,

Thank you for your interest in Acronis Partition and Disk Managing Software.

I'm sorry for not being accurate enough in my previous post.

Yes, you are absolutely right. It is possible to boot Windows in Safe Mode as you have described. I meant that a user cannot choose a special option to boot Windows into Safe Mode within Acronis OS Selector.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.