How to get drives in alphabetical order in Safely Remove Hardware list

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by allizomeniz, Sep 22, 2014.

1. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

Hey all, here with another puzzler.

I have three removable flash drives attached to my Dell desktop pc (Windows XP) which I keep attached to the pc. In My Computer it lists them in order but in the Safely Remove Hardware list it wants to list them as H, F, G. I've tried inserting them in different ports and in different orders, but it always ends up back at the same thing when I restart. The F & G drives are 64GB SanDisk Cruzer Glides and H is an 8GB SanDisk Cruzer Fit.

I have an app called USB Drive Letter Manager and gives USB Port Names for each of them:

H - USB Port Name = 4-1
    F - USB Port Name = 4-2
    G - USB Port Name = 4-3

It looks like the port names may determine the order in which they're listed, but when I insert them in different ports, they always end up with the same port names on restart. I'd like to figure out a way to get them in alphabetical order in the SRH dialog. I looked online but didn't find anything that worked.

I've tried some of the SRH replacement apps but found them unsatisfactory in one way or another.

It's trivial really but thought I'd give it a shot and see if anyone knows how to do it. Then again maybe I've just got too much time on my hands. :D

SafRem.jpg

2. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

Maybe change the drive letters so that they appear in alphabetical order in the Safely Remove Hardware window.

3. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

4. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

MrBrian, I thought about doing that. It should resolve the issue, but it would create a few other problems if I change the path for a lot of files, so I ruled it out. I was hoping someone might have a magic trick to share that would allow me to change the order. If not I'll just live with it.

Osaban, I didn't used to use Safely Remove but it seemed like I was always having one problem or another with my flash drives, even when optimized for quick removal. I now just optimize everything for performance and use SR. Never had any issues since. My F, G & H drive are always plugged in but I use SR for others.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.