How to format TrueCrypt'ed disk

Discussion in 'encryption problems' started by heartlikeflower, Mar 5, 2015.

1. heartlikeflower

heartlikeflower Registered Member

Hello everybody on forums!

This forum is great and very useful on number of topics, I red some threads concerning my problem and still looking for solution so please share some insight.

I had system disk totally encrypted with Truecrypt, made backup of all data and thought that I could simply delete everything (data, mbr) and start anew in other PC. I booted W8.1 from USB and executed Diskpart -- Clean command upon ex system disk. Windows coudnt install and I ended with Bad disk, according to several Partition tools. Now I know it was a mistake, I should decrypt disk before.

So, anyhow, I just want to clean whole disk, I dont need the data. Please help!

EDIT: Dont know if its clear, but I dont have options to delete partitions or re-build MBR in apps like Partiton wizard free edition or GParted.
    TC rescue disks are not at hand.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  2. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

Why not? I have never heard of Partition Wiz NOT running from a bootable media (CDR/DVR, etc.). You will be running the partition manager wizard in RAM and you don't need the operating system on the drive to be functional at all. Its all done in RAM - completely.

You don't need to worry about keeping anything at all on the platter of your hard drive. Just blow all the partitions away and start over with configurations that you want (partition sizes, etc..).

Further if your drive was FULL DISK ENCRYPTED you don't even have to wipe the platter. Once you reformat and the bootloader and partition table are changed the sectors will be hopelessly inaccessible. Remember every sector was encrypted to a TC header master key. That key no longer exists and those former data/sectors are NEVER to be read again. If you used that drive for quite some time before encrypting then you may consider a full platter "wipe", but unless you are in an extreme threat model I wouldn't even bother at this point. Again, this assumes the entire disk was encrypted before the mayhem started!

3. heartlikeflower

heartlikeflower Registered Member

Partition software says: bad disk, Input/Output error, not accessible etc. Same for W8.1 disk management and Diskpart clean/all command.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.