How to find encrypted system partition using TC Rescue Disk?

Discussion in 'encryption problems' started by wiktorrr, Sep 27, 2015.

1. wiktorrr

wiktorrr Registered Member

Hello,

I have a "little" problem and kindly ask for your help :)
    I accidentally overwritten MBR using Ubuntu installer and can't find tc headers. I have been using TestDisk, TCHead and other "rescue" programs without success.

I have found python script to determine is sector a tc header (after decrypt first 4 bytes contain "TRUE" - I've checked it on other disks and it really works). I modified it to search for tc header through all disk but it takes too long

My disk partitions looks like:
    part. 1 or 3: Linux system unencrypted - about 200GB
    part. 2: full encrypted partition - about 450GB <-- this partition I need most!
    part. 1 or 3: encrypted Windows system: about 60GB

I have an idea: if I would know where encrypted Windows system is, I could find part. 2 header (first or backup header - depends on where windows system are).

So, I have TC Rescue Disk for encrypted Windows system and I know where is backup header on cd disk. TrueCrypt Volume Format Specification says that header contains size of the volume and offset of the start of the master key scope - with this data my problems will be solved!

BUT! I it not so simple, because encrypted system header after decrypt does not contains any "TRUE" ascii string! It seems like TC uses other encryption for systems then for partitions.
    Unfortunately I can't find any information about this in tc official doc.

NOTE: Using True Crypt program for test header from TC Resc Disk I find out, that I have to check "Mount partition using system encryption (preboot authentication)" - maybe this will be some clue?

Any help will be very very welcome :)

PS. I know that my English is not very well, so ask me if you do not understand some text.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.