How to extract files from compressed drive image archive

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by ittiandro, Mar 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ittiandro

ittiandro Registered Member

Hi!
    I am in a real bind: I had made a drive image with Paragon on my 8 years old computer and backed it up on an external USB drive with the idea that if I ever buy a new computer,( which I did yesterday) I would easily recover the image into the new computer, without having to waste long hours in re-loading all the programs and settings.
    Unfortunately, I discovered that this is not possible: it seems that a computer ( at least mine) cannot recover an image made on a different computer, unless ( so I am told) the two have an identical interface ( same M.Board, etc). Also, I get a message saying that my image was made on Windows 7 Ulltimate 32-bits computer, while the new computer is Windows 7 Home Premium 86 or something like this. I am not too sure what the 32 or 86 is all about, but it seems that it makes a difference. Bottom line, I am stuck, because I lost all my e-mail addresses, the Internet favorites, etc.
    I read on an older thread of yours, now closed, that you can decompress and access individual files in the .PBF archives by using the File Transfer Wizard. I tried, with no success. By using the Files Transfer Wizard, the archive still remains compressed and there is no way I can see the names of the individual Folders and files contained.
    Short of recovering the whole drive image on the new computer, which I am unable to, how can I view, select and restore the individual folders and files in the compressed archive?

Thank you for your help

Ittiandro

2. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

There are a couple of problems with restoring an image to a completely different machine.

1. The hardware is different.

Because of that , windows may not boot .

There are special programs ( like paragon p2p adjust ) which can make it bootable after it has been restored to a different machine).

2. Your windows product key and license is only good for one machine.

If you have a retail license - you can transfer that to another machine.

If it was an oem license ( like you get when the machine had windows installed on it by the manufacturer ) - then you can not use it on a different machine.

If that is the case, you need to buy another license ( product key ).

If you just wish to extract your data files from an image - that should be fine.

File transfer wizard should work - unless your backup image is damaged.

It is possible you made the image with a different version of Paragon?

You could try the file transfer wizard from the same version of Paragon you made the image with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.